Author Topic: Has anyone heard of a place called Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 39024 times)

Offline husulo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of a place called Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 09 February 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Note aktiva
  I am Milton Irwin aka HUSULO,from California,Thomas Crawford was my Great Grandfather he was married to Catherine Henry,they had three children,my grandmother Sarah Jane Crawford her siblings were Hugh and Martha.death records and pictures are at this site.
Husulo

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 09 February 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I have a record of a Thomas Crawford who married Catherine Henry in Drumachose Presbyterian Church, Limavady. However the date is 1869.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aktiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 09 February 13 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes Thank you:

I would have to assume if Thomas 1809, Robert and William were all brothers:

that this is the reason we continue to see those first names carry forward:

William Sr has a William Jr.

Likely this Thomas you mention is a son of one of these men..........

Its the darn 1780-1800 period that seems to have a dearth of Limavady Crawfords........

I know by the 1830s some from the Coleraine were migrating out: Joseph did in 1835 I believe for example.......

We would have to assume the Coleraine and Limavady Crawfords are one and the same historically........and if we do that: we get back to having some early Thomas and Roberts......

Certainly the main Barony of Keenaught: in 1740

We have

James at BALTEAGH Parish
James and John at BOVEVAGH Parish
Samuel and Brice at TAMLAGHT FINLAGAN Parish
John and James of MAGILLIGAN Parish

I don't know if that is a fair assumption: to say the Keenaught Crawfords are one lineage
since Coleraine Barony Crawfords are right in the zone as well.

John and William of  AGHADOWEY in Coleraine
William in DErSETGOHILL in Coleraine
Robert, Joseph, James, James and Jacob in DUNBOE in Coleraine
John and Brice in MCOSQUIN in Coleraine

So in 1740 at least there is a whack of Crawford males within striking distance.

We can see most had cleared out of Keenaught by the mid 1800s to other parts of the world and Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 09 February 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I think it may be unwise to assume all these Crawford were connected.

Desertoghill is a parish in Garvagh area (which is actual in two parishes- Desertoghill and Errigal). Aghadowey is another parish nearby. Coleraine is the Barony but wouldn't want to say Crawford there are even connected to each other. John and Brice in MCOSQUIN in Coleraine should be Macosquin Parish which is nearer the town of Coleraine.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aktiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 31 March 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
Well I am sure we are kinfolk........My Thomas b.c. 1809 who married Mary Martin 1807 or so: migrated to New Brunswick Canada......he claimed to be a Methodist.....and the first Methodist meeting house was erected in 1773 in Limavady......or only about 35 years before he was born.  Thus I feel his father must have been one of the original members of this "new" sect.

Thoughts?

Offline Julie in Ohio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 01 April 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just discovered this chat page and am very interested.
My g g gradmother was Mary Thompson, born 1831, Tamlaght Finlagan. She married James Vincent, born Londonderry, in 1850 at Tamlaght b.

We are holding a Vincent family reunion in Feb 2012 and would love some background of the family in Ireland.
Thomas and his sister Hadassah were both christened in the parish church at Tamlaght Finlagan.
Regards,
Robyn

I have been investigating Robert Gault, farmer, Tamlaght, who was named executor of several wills of Irwin / Irvine farmers in Drumacarney 1899 until shortly before his death in 1931. One Drumcarney Irwin whose will I could not find online at PRONI is James Irwin (d. 1916). His stone at Old Tamlaght names family members including a daughter Margaret Hadessah Irwin (names in incorrect order on FindAGrave). I mention this because I find her middle name distinctive and possibly related to your Hadassah Vincent. Robert Gault of Tamlaght, who seems to have been related to this Drumcarney family by friendship if not blood, was survived by son Thomas Vincent Gault.

I may be creating a web out of pure coincidences, but wanted to mention these possible connections.

A photo of the Irwin family stone is at:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=77498547

Offline burklegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of a place called Newton Limavady, Londonderry FERGUSON
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 18 May 13 17:53 BST (UK) »
I am tracing FERGUSON ancestors who were all born in the "Newton, Limavady, Derry" area. I found the names I know for sure (William, Samuel, Malcom) in the 1831 Derry Census as living in "Keenaght, Bovevagh, Killibleught" at that time with Loughrey family nearby. The Fergusons also had a daughter Margaret, sons Andrew and John.

Ferguson's younger son Andrew b. 1805 m. Janet LOUGHREY in "Derry" in 1827. Andres's first son John born 1828 listed as Bovevagh Presbyterian, Derry, Ireland. They moved to Scotland abt 1843 or so.

My ancestor John Hill Ferguson, Sr was a son of William and Letitia Ferguson (also maiden name). He was born abt 1796 in Ireland. He moved to Scotland before 1821. I know all his descendants but nothing else about his ancestors. They were Presbyterians. Family names repeated many times in later generations were Letitia, William, John, James, Joseph, Mary Ann, and George.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 18 May 13 18:45 BST (UK) »
The 1831 census only lists head of household by name (and then shows number of males & females in the household) so it's not always possible to identify the correct family in a particular townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline burklegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 18 May 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
The 1831 census only lists head of household by name (and then shows number of males & females in the household) so it's not always possible to identify the correct family in a particular townland.
I understand but I also have a family note written by John's son about 1875 stating names and area.