Author Topic: James Butler born 1811-1813 died 1887  (Read 1817 times)

Offline UTS

• RootsChat Extra
  • This is far too addictive.
    • View Profile
James Butler born 1811-1813 died 1887
« on: Monday 20 September 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
I'm having all sorts of trouble pinning this down because each census from 1841-1881 gives differing information.  The place of birth varies in spelling but I am sure it should be Chirk.  What I know is that james was born between 1811-1813 and moved to Bilston , Staffs and married wife Mary who was born there.  They spent the rest of their days in Bilston.  They had 3 sons of which one was also called James who coincidentally married a Mary from Wales.

Living in Lancashire means my knowledege of Chirk is quite slim other than I know it is either in or near Wrexham.  From what I can see there was just the 1 church (St Mary's) and the population circa 1800 was about 1600.  I'm wondering if anyone knows what if any parish records exist.  I'm hoping to pay Chirk a visit in November and see how far I can trace back.  I believe St Mary's was built in the 15th centrury and am keeping my fingers crossed that I might be able to trace back further than first thought.

Any help or advice would be more than welcome.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Butler born 1811-1813 died 1887
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've checked the Chirk parish registers and so far I can't find his baptism. It could be that the family were non-conformist and would thus not appear in the parish records.

There is a James Butler (forgeman) and Sarah having children  baptised around that time but I don't see him. I'll widen the search.*

Have you checked the marriage info to see if there is any mention of his father?

Gadget

*Also a James and Mary
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
 :D

Just looked at them on the 1851.

He says his birth place is Pontyblew, Chirk  - this is where the Forge was (some of my  ancestors were there too! ) so I'd pencil in the James (forgeman) and Sarah.

Here's a photo of Pontyblew forge cottages

and the site of the forge:

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline UTS

• RootsChat Extra
  • This is far too addictive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
That's great, thank you very much.  I haven't yet found the marriage because I do not know where it took place.  The first born was in 1834 so i've narrowed it down from 1827-1834.  I've just ordered a birth cert to get Mary's maidename but i havent got it yet.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
I've just noticed that they have a daughter Sarah on the 1841 - HO107/1001/10/11/15

so a bit more evidence.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 September 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
A bit more about Chirk.

I was born and lived there until I was 18 and then visited regularly until my parents died. I still go back every few years.

Here's a link to some old photos of the village - they call it a town now  -  and it's not the same. To me it's just an over grown housing estate  and not the lovely place that I grew up in  :(

http://www.chirk.org.uk/

(Thank goodness that I don't appear on any of them  ;D  )

Gadget