Author Topic: Looking for Bowen births  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Womble Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Bowen births
« on: Monday 20 September 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the birth and death record of Charles Bowen, born around 1800 somewhere in London and died between 1841 and 1846.  His death should be registered but I've had no luck finding it.

I know he married Elizabeth Hodson in Camberwell in 1829 (she was born in Bermondsey in 1805 and died in Shoreditch in 1846 shown as a widow).  Charles was a Lithographic Artist and went to USA in 1833 with wife and daughter, had 2 more children there and returned to England between 1835 and 1841 when he is shown on the Census in Lambeth with his son and sister-in-law. 

Charles may be related to a John T Bowen, also a Lithographer, who went to USA in 1831, stayed there and had his own company in New York and later in Philadelphia.  I can't find his birth either.

If anyone out there knows anything about Charles or John T or can give me any clue as to where to to go from here to find them or where to start looking for any records of Lithography in England in the first half of the 1800's I would be so, so grateful.  This brick wall is getting higher!!

Thanks all

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Bowen births
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
hi i,ve found a death reg i don,t think for a minute it ,s right but i,ll post it anyway charles writing bowen  died 23 sep 1849age 54 parish st mary at lambeth  the address was broad st ,  i,ve looked at the 1841 cen there is a charles bowen with a wife named elizabeth both aged 45 and spitalfields as parish  whitechaple dist
if you google lithography history the sites thst come up may well help
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Womble Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 10 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trevor,

I did send for the cert of Charles Writing but he wasn't mine and the Charles you found wasn't mine.  His death must be somewhere, I guess I just have to keep trying to think of new ways of finding it.  Tanks for your suggestions.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 October 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
If your Charles is the 41-yr-old painter in Lambeth in 1841 (HO107/1061/9/20/5) he is enumerated as not born in the county of Surrey. This of course leaves open Middlesex, the City and a host of non-London possibilities for his birthplace.  What is your source for believing he was born "somewhere in London"?

Have you found Elizabeth and/or the other children in 1841?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Womble Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, my Charles is the painter on the 1841 Census.  I don't have any source to say he was actually born in London other than that's where he married at St Giles, Camberwell and all the following descendants are in London.  I know that doesn't mean much as my other family I'm researching all came from Cornwall and it was my great great grandfather who made the move to London and started my side of the family.  I have found that 'Bowen' is a big name in Wales so there is a possiblity that he could have come from there, but I haven't gone down that road yet.  If I even knew the names of his parents it would help.

As for Elizabeth and the children in 1841.  The 2 children born in New York in the 1830's were both baptised at St Leonards, Shoreditch in August 1841.

On the 1841 Census I think I've found Elizabeth in the home of a Sir James Gambier in Cavendish Square, St Marylebone, Middx.  Also the eldest daughter Elizabeth Jane I think was in the same area but can't be sure it's her. 
I haven't been able to find the youngest daughter Emma Maria at all in 1841 altho' in 1851 she was living with her aunt Maria and maternal grandmother in Southwark as her mother, father and sister had all died by then.
The only son, Charles Jonathan Thomas (my ancestor), is shown with his father in Lambeth in 1841, there also was Elizabeth's unmarried sister shown as Mariam Bowen when she was actually Maria Hodson.  She paid a big part in this family being present at the deaths of Elizabeth and both her daughters.

This has become a long message so my apologies but any idea where I go from here?  Any suggestions would be so very welcome.