Author Topic: WEBSTER Reasearch  (Read 3544 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WEBSTER Reasearch
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
think possibly this is James in 1881 (and maybe a sister Elizabeth?)

Stoney lane Thaxted Essex
John Thurgood Head M 51 ag lab Thaxted Essex
Elizabeth wife 46 taxted
William son 16 ag lab Thaxted
WILLIAM WEBSTER visitor 9 London
Elizabeth Webster visitor 9 London
Edith Nevil visitor 7 London
beatrice Hockley Visitor 7 Thaxted Essex
RG11 1815 21 1

it seems a strong possibility that William was b in London but reared in Essex -possibly while widowed mum earned their "keep"

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
possibly William in 1891
6 Willington Place Prittlewell Essex
William Webster servant 17 Bakers Assistant Camberwell London
in household of William Gowers Master baker
RG12 1391 15 24

Elizabeth Webster (possible sister?) was a servant at the Royal Hotel Prittlewell Essex

I have some info on Betsey pre marriage if you require it

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
this is a guess -but I think is worth considering as William James father

Victoria Pottery Cottages Prittlewell E£ssex
James Webster head M 46 Potter Gravesend Kent
Eliza wife 41 Leigh Essex
JAMES son U 20 Baker Prittlewell Essex
William son 15 Potter Deptford Kent
Jesse A son 14 Fisherman London
Agnes daughter 12 Prittlewell Exxex
Elizabeth daughter 9 Prittlewell
Frederick son 6 Prittlewell
Jane C daughter 4 Prittlewell
herbert son 1 Prittlewell
RG10 1668 74 9
I can't find this James after 1871 census

so in 1891 had William follwed father's profession as a baker??

Suz

Offline rebelrouser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 11:44 BST (UK) »
G'day Suz and thanks for your mails.

Yes lass I do have the contents of the 1901 census and they are definately mine. Where was he in 1891? At this stage who knows.

That is an interesting 1881 census in relation to a Betsey WEBSTER particularly as Betsey was the name recorded at the time of William James' death. Also the marriage record you came up with in 1871 registered at Chelsea, but of course in this case it is to a "James" WEBSTER who could still be mine, as it was a James and Betsey recorded as his parents.

Your assumption in relation to the 1881 census could well be correct particularly as William married a Harriett BARLTROP who appears to have spent much of her time in Thaxted and after their marriage settled in Thaxted.

The 1891 census entry coul well be my William as it is only 3.9 miles from the general area that he was born in.

I'm not so sure about the entry for Elizabeth at Prittlewell as it is some 31/2 miles from the general area she is believed to have been born in. To travel that distance in the latee 1800s seems a bit far, but then it was still possible.

I thank you for your time and effort.

Regards

Offline rebelrouser

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 12:04 BST (UK) »
Suz,

Having another look at three items in particular I note that over a period of 13 years the year of birth for both work out the same.
i.e. for William his year of birth is 1872/3 and for harriett nee BARLTROP it is 1874/5.

I have located on the IGI a birth of a William james WEBSTER 21 Dec 1872 with a Christening 12 Jan 1873 at St John the Baptist, Shoreditch, but in this case his parents are recorded as William and Louisa.

In 1881 there is an entry for a WEBSTER family for William J the head aged 34 born Bethnal Green, his wife Louisa aged 35, Elizabeth aged 13 born Bethnal Green, Louisa aged born Bethnal Green, William J aged 11 born Shoreditch and Sarah aged 3 months born Bethnal Green.

You mentioned in an earlier post you had more information on a Betsey COLLIN prior to her marriage to a James WEBSTER in 1871.

Regards

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 12:08 BST (UK) »
G'day.

I'm not so sure about the entry for Elizabeth at Prittlewell as it is some 31/2 miles from the general area she is believed to have been born in. To travel that distance in the latee 1800s seems a bit far, but then it was still possible.

I thank you for your time and effort.

Regards

Hi,

I don't think William James was b Essex -but it seems he grew up there

I think Betsey married James Webster who was possibly from Essex -and was a baker

James died young leaving Betsey with 2 children Elizabeth and James (who were both born London
)

The children were put with a family (who may/may not be relate) in Essex

1891 William James the son is working as a baker in Prittlewell Essex -his sister Elizabeth is working at a hotel in Prittlewell Essex
William James being a baker would fit with him later going into the confectionary trade

There only seems to be 1 census where William James gives p.o.b. as Stratford Essex- which is same as where wife was born -so isn't necessarily accurate it could be just what his wife had put

You really need to purchase the marriage cert of william james which will give father's name and occupation -and witnesses may be relatives too

Suz

Offline rebelrouser

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz, I tend to agree with you as we are only going around in circles.

So I guess I should just leave this post in obeyance for the time being.

Thanks for all your help.

regards

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
or get the marriage cert????

Suz

Offline rebelrouser

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry lass, tha act of a recycled teenager, I meant to add GET a copy of the marriage certificate.
Wal