Author Topic: Spooky or what?  (Read 5097 times)

Offline boltzmann69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spooky or what?
« on: Tuesday 21 September 10 12:54 BST (UK) »
I put this on my local history forum and thought I'd share it here.

I’ve been taking some local war grave photos, when I go to a section in a large cemetery I first look for the standard commonwealth war grave headstones as these usually stand out, and then go looking for the rest. Anyway, when I was in Canterbury cemetery I went to a new section, whilst standing there looking for headstones I glanced to my immediate left and saw the grass covered headstone shown below. The top name stood out straight away as it’s my great grandfathers name! and I know that he died in his forties. I took a photo before cleaning the grass off revealing my great grandmothers name, and also a memorial to one of their sons killed at the battle of Ancre in the great war. You’ll notice a circular recess where his memorial death plaque would’ve been attached.
Now talk about a hair stand up on the back of your neck moment as I had no idea they were buried there, and also of the thousands of graves in the cemetery I ended up standing right next to it. Actually the headstone is at ninety degrees to the grave so I was standing right on top of them!!
I’ve since enquired with the council about getting the headstone reinstated.  I guess it became unstable and was consequently laid down. Also I did enquire as to whether the death plaque was found and put into storage. Long shot I know as it’s more likely to be lost or stolen. Awaiting a reply....
Now that was a spooky moment!!

Paul.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky or what?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
Well you really were meant to find it weren`t you? I am  glad you did. What a wonderful coincidence---- or something more special !!!!  Viktoria.

Offline boltzmann69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 17:07 BST (UK) »
Well you really were meant to find it weren`t you? I am  glad you did. What a wonderful coincidence---- or something more special !!!!  Viktoria.

I think you're right  ;D

I've just started a battle with the council now about getting re-instated. As I don't own the grave and they have no record who does then legally I can't have the work done  >:( But I've still got a few avenues to go down yet.
I wonder who does take ownership when the immediate family have died?

Paul

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
There is a topic running presently re the tidying up of a Manchester graveyard which is quite negected. It was proposed that graves be photographed and the inscriptions recorded. It seems that may be a problem because of ownership of the graves, many date from the 1800`s.
Follow the thread and it may give you an answer, to your question re present  ownership  as someone must otherwise who could object --and it is logical to assume that descendants of the people buried there do if it is envisaged there  could  be  objections. . Best of luck. Viktoria.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 20:23 BST (UK) »

I've just started a battle with the council now about getting re-instated. As I don't own the grave and they have no record who does then legally I can't have the work done  >:( But I've still got a few avenues to go down yet.
I wonder who does take ownership when the immediate family have died?

Paul

Quote "I wonder who does take ownership when the immediate family have died?"
It can get very complicated.

I`m very surprised the Council have no record of ownership.

Do they not have Grave registers?

If the grave lease has expired then most grave ownership reverts back to the burial authority & anyone can take ownership for a fee.

Rather than get into a battle its always wise to try & talk to the staff on site, I`m not saying it`ll help - but it might, my personal experience of council staff is either they are job`s worth`s or the complete opposite & only too willing to try & help. The hardest part is finding the helpful ones.

You could try & find a Will from the last known owner or person buried & then follow who may have inherited the grave/estate.

As there is a soldier listed it might be an idea to contact the War Graves commission, they could possibly assist you in your quest....they may be able to move a few obstinate whatsits at the council.

I`ll try & find out if there is any other way around the ownership issue, it may be possible to do statuary declaration & claim ownership?

To give you an example of how awful some council staff can be.
A colleague I work with told me a tale.

Her mother went to a Council Cemetery & asked to see a entry in the Book of Remembrance, the fellow said what date & her Mother said "I think it was either July,my Dads birthday or August when he died", the council fella said "well you need to chose!" She said "Can I look at both pages" & he said "No, you only get one choice" ..... Sadly she picked the wrong day......She is 80+ years old.... to say I was shocked was an understatement, but I know the site & I should not have been shocked. Shameful isn`t the word.

I was speaking to a Lady who had visited another Council run site & she was shocked at their attitude & lack of any flexibility to her plans for her funeral service, it was a case of do as we say or go elsewhere.

I do hope you can get your relatives Headstone restored.

Regards.

Steve

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 20:41 BST (UK) »

Oh Steve, that`s awful! Having opened the Book of Remembrance what trouble would it have been to turn a couple or so pages!
My Mum was cremated and due to Dad`s subsequent ill health and admittance to hospital we missed the day for being present when her ashes were scattered ( due to the crematorium not having a niche ready as promised----it`s a long story). I had her name put in the Book of Remembrance on her birthday as we lived abroad and would not have been in England on the date of her death. The following year we went to take flowers and see the book--- but nothing!I was very upset. I had specifically said on her birthday but  had become somewhat overcome and so perhaps I did not make all clear. However in the following years some staff were very kind and opened the glass case to turn the pages but others have been "jobsworths". Now we are back in the U.K. it`s O.K. But what a nasty person. Perhaps the lady you mentioned could write to the relevant council dept., explaining her problem re remembering when the entry was . They surely must answer.Viktoria.

Offline kenmeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi have just read you article "spooky or what" found it very interesting as my wife and I have visited a number of graveyards whilst researching our family tree. Wondered if you know that you can find details of your uncles death on Commonwealth War Graves site. He was a Private in the Lincolnshire regiment and died aged 20 on 5/04/1918 and is buried at the Gommecourt British Cemetery No2. Hebuterne. His details are given as Son of Percy & Ellen Taylor of 9, Knotts Lane, Canterbury

Regards kenmeeks

Offline s fortuna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 January 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
i can relate . i am from the us , but i have never felt i belong here . Ireland has called to me for many years . unknown why . just a need to be there . so i went , well when i got there i felt i was home .
 but one other feeling i had for many years was , when im gone bury me on a hillside in the country . well as we traveled Ireland . on a totally random stop . we just pulled off to the side of the road , wife looked up , a sign said cemetery  . nope cant see it from the road  . so we drive up there and . oh my $$^^ here it is . now i still get the chills that , what made me stop there ?
 i am, looking for help

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,576838.0.html