Author Topic: Hannah Pearl Adams/King in Stepney  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Mountainpeople

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Pearl Adams/King in Stepney
« on: Tuesday 21 September 10 13:45 BST (UK) »
According to my grandfather's marriage certificate, his father was called Charles King, and he was a costermonger, and his mother was Hannah Pearl/Perl Adams who was listed as deceased on the marriage certificate in 1926. My grandfather had one sister - Hannah - and we think two brothers called Joseph and Edward, and he ran away from home when he was twelve after the death of his mother - so we're guessing Hannah died arround 1910-1913, and it was always whispered in our house that his mother drowned herself. My grandfather - William King - would never talk about this, but he was fanatically anti-alcohol and we wonder whether perhaps his father became violent when he was drunk. I'm going to London in a couple of months I wondered whether I might be able to find her grave, or would she not be allowed to be buried in concentrated grounds in the early part of the twentieth century if she had committed suicide?
Grays, Dunns, McKinlays, Frasers, Hannays, Thomsons, East Lothian, Dumfriesshire, Glasgow. Adams, Kings, Floods, Woolfe's, Exeter, London

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Pearl Adams/King in Stepney
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hannah Pearl Adams aged 24 married Charles King 24 railway porter  at Christ Church Jamaica St on 21.7.1895

Her father was William John Adams - bricklayer - deceased and his was Charles King labourer

Witnesses were Charles Sharpe and Emily King

Both Charles & Hannah signed the register in full
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mountainpeople

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you so much - that is most, most helpful. Can I ask where you got the information? I'm in Scotland and have been using the Scotland's People website for the Scottish side of the family, but I am all at sea with the English side because my grandfather gave us so little information. Is there a record of Hannah's death on the site where you found the other information?
Grays, Dunns, McKinlays, Frasers, Hannays, Thomsons, East Lothian, Dumfriesshire, Glasgow. Adams, Kings, Floods, Woolfe's, Exeter, London

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Births March qtr 1871 

Hannah Pearl Adams   St. George in the East  1c 417

Deaths December qtr 1911   

Hannah P King aged  40  District = Greenwich  Volume 1d Page 1014

I would recommend that you buy a copy of her death cert to establish the cause of death.  Copies cost £9.25 and can be ordered online at

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You have to register with them first and you will need to quote the above quarter/District/Volume and Page number when you order

I got the marriage details from a paysite and the above death and birth were from freebmd  www.freebmd.org.uk

The free 1911 index has a Hannah King aged 41 living in Greenwich but you would have to buy credits to view the full entry
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a pm with details of some baptisms for children of Charles & Hannah between 1898-1906

Offline Mountainpeople

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Carole, thanks a million for sending those things to me. I've tried to pm you but my email to you bounced. I never for a moment suspected my grandfather's parents would have had nine children - I thought it was only four (and we have one of them wrong) so that has cleared up a lot for me. I've bought my Great grandmother's death certificate online so will wait and see what that says, and once again, thank you!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Glad it has helped

When you get the death cert - let me know what it says as I'm curious!

Offline Mountainpeople

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 September 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
Carole, I've just received a copy of Hannah's death certificate this morning, and very sadly the whispers in our family were true. The certificate says
Where and when died - Found dead, twenty-eighth November, 1911, Grand Surrey Canal, Deptford. Name and surname, Hannah Perl (and that's how they've spelt it) King, Female, wife of Charles King, Carman of 4 Gosterwood(?) Street, Deptford. Cause of death - Suffocation from drowning. Suicide during temporary insanity, p.m., Certificate received from H.R.Oswald, Coroner for London. Inquest held the 30th November 1911.
It's strange, but even though I'd heard the whispers when I was a little girl, to now see it in black and white like this...  I never met my great grandmother but I feel so, so, sorry for her. To take her own life - she must have been so unhappy, so very desperate. And my grandfather, William King, would only have been ten years old. I remember an uncle telling my mother that he believed Charles married again after Hannah 'died', and that my grandfather hated this woman. My uncle said she doted on her own children, and used to smear egg round my grandfather's lips to make it look as though she had fed him, when she hadn't. He ran away - when I don't know but he was in the navy when he married my grandmother, at the age of 25,  in 1926. Getting that marriage certificate has really put the cat among the pigeons because he is listed on it as divorced, and all of my great aunts must have known this, but not one of them said a word. As it says on the TV programme, 'Who Do you think you Are', be careful when you dig into the past because you might not always like what you discover
Margaret

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 September 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Thanks so much for posting that info.  I wonder if Hannah was suffering from post natal depression given the number of her children who had died in infancy.  We will never know of course but as you say - very sad indeed to take her own life in that way