Author Topic: George Wilson, Airdrie convict to Aust- wife & child left behind in Scotland  (Read 6349 times)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Wilson, Airdrie convict to Aust- wife & child left behind in Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 October 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Lanark (town) is under 17 miles (about 27 k) from Airdrie.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Wilson, Airdrie convict to Aust- wife & child left behind in Scotland
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
I did find a George Wilson b Lanark, Lanarkshire, attestation papers for Royal Marines Chatham in 1810, age 18. He was with the 94th at discharge [no date or reason given (Folio 506 Att. forms 157/7/506)

As fifer1947 says, Lanark town and Aidrie aren't that far apart, but the other possibility is that they were recording the county, Aidrie being in Lanarkshire.

One thought - your comment about the Royal Marines.    If your George was a Royal Marine you won't find him in any Army records, because the Royal Marines are the fighting arm of the Navy.      I don't know anything about Naval Records for that time, but I'm sure someone on the Armed Forces board would be able to point you in the right direction if you want to follow that line up.

Totally agree about the Wilsons - I know where they were born, and when, and who their parents were, but can I find George?  No!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline waughboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Great information. We have  George Wilson (weaver) who married Christian Bowie and had eight children in Airdrie between 1811 and 1831. Christian and her kids appear in the 1841 Census but not George. Maybe this is the same George Wilson. See http://www.waughfamily.ca/Wilson/index.htm for more information on this family.

I just started researching this line of ours yesterday so hope to have more information soon!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
annmck, would it help to know that Airdrie is in the parish of New Monkland? Thus any records are likely to be under New Monkland rather than Airdrie.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian and Waughboy,

Thank you for your responses!
....and yes, I was uncertain about the Airdrie/New Monkland civil & ecclesiastical jurisdictions, Forfarian, so that info is helpful.

Waughboy, I hope Maggie 1895 sees your post-particularly as your George had a son, George, b. 1823- as it may be v. helpful for her.....though I don't know how old hers was......too many George Wilsons in the mix!!

My George was born in 1793 or thereabouts- he was 44 at his 1837 trial- so is unlikely to be Christian Bowie's husband...but there's always the possibility he was related to him...maybe an uncle or older cousin.

There is also no mention of my George having more than 1 child in Scotland, although there may have been others who didn't survive, I suppose.

The following thread also pertains to my George, and has a little more about his life, pre & post transportation, if you're interested....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,606115.msg4557886.html#msg4557886

Cheers,
Ann
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 July 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, Annmck and Waughboy,

I've realised I've been remiss in not being specific about my George Wilson.  George was the elder brother of my gr.gr grandmother Margaret Wilson, b c.1825 in Stonehouse in Lanarkshire.  Their parents were Robert Wilson, b c 1896 and Janet Millar, b c. 1801.

Her elder brothers were George, b c. 1821 and Robert b c. 1824, and there were 3 younger sisters, Janet, Isabella and Jane.

By the mid-1840s the family had moved to Aidrie, I'm sure it was so that the men could seek work down the pits, and Margaret married my gr.gr.grandfather there in 1846.   She was widowed within a few years, and when the younger of her 2 sons died in 1857 it was her brother George who registered the death for her.   Both her son and her husband, and several others in the family, were bured in Wellwynd Churchyard in Aidrie, and are very likely to be amongst the pauper's graves moved within the last couple of years to Monkland to make way for a bigger car park for Aidrie Library (ironically perhaps because so many people want to research their family history?)

For a long time I wanted to find out more about George, and could find nothing - too many George Wilsons, nothing to identify which was which; just as Ann says 'too many George Wilsons in the mix'.    Quite recently an old letter from a much loved and missed Great Aunt has turned up in old family papers, mentioning a cousin of hers, and giving the cousin's name in full.   Tracing that cousin meant that I finally tracked down George - because it turned out that the mysterious cousin was his daughter.

I've now established that 'my' George married Mary or Maryann Leitch in 1853 in Aidrie, and like the rest of the family they were unlucky enough to lose children in Aidrie in the following years, but those burials seem to have been in Chapel Street rather than Wellwynd.    By the 1861 census George and Maryann had moved back to Stonehouse with their surviving children.    By 1881 they had moved to Midlothian, where George was still a miner at the age of 61.

So I finally established that he was not transported, or in the forces, but as so often it was one line in a very old letter that gave me the clue.    Without that, I'd still be searching.

Thank you all for your postings, and good luck to you Ann with your own search.  I hope by giving more details of 'my' George should his records turn up in anyone else's search you can now discount him.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Lead53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 May 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
Maggie 1895 I know this is an old post but your G Wilson and Mary Ann Leitch were my g g grandparents . His daughter Janet married A Haddow which is my line . George and Mary are in Torryburn churchyard

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Re: George Wilson, Airdrie to Aust- birth record??
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 May 21 18:10 BST (UK) »
Does native place always mean birthplace, or may it mean a place of residence only.
Birthplace.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 May 21 21:59 BST (UK) »
Maggie 1895 I know this is an old post but your G Wilson and Mary Ann Leitch were my g g grandparents . His daughter Janet married A Haddow which is my line . George and Mary are in Torryburn churchyard
Wow!  I’ve hardly been on here for a long time but wanted to get back to it as soon as I had time, it’s a brilliant site.  This evening an email alert on this post just came up and now here’s a new cousin... but it’s far too late in the evening to work out how many times removed.   Thank goodness that Scots just say ‘cousins’ and leave it at that!
I’m the gr.granddaughter of James, Margaret’s surviving son, so George’s nephew.  I’d send you a personal message but I seem to remember you need to post 3 times on the board before your ability to use PMs opens.  Reply to this twice!