Author Topic: Silver War Badge.  (Read 2588 times)

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Silver War Badge.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 October 10 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I see what you mean ... I had a gander and there doesn't appear to be anything!  so annoying!  :(
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 October 10 19:30 GMT (UK) »
The war diary for the 4th Battalion Black Watch for November 1915 - March 1916 is available at the National Archives at Kew - reference WO 95/2591. It has not yet been digitalised - which means that you will have to go there to see it - or get someone to do so on your behalf - or ask the NA for a quote for copying the pages you want. The problem is, of course, that you don't know when your man was wounded - only the date of his discharge. I'm not expert enough to tell you the average kind of time between being wounded and being discharged, I suspect that there are too many variables - but others might be better placed to give you some idea. Given that his discharge date was 3rd May 1916 it is possible that the action in which he received his wounds took place in March 1916, which is covered by the diary.

Hope that helps,

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 November 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, jds 1949
Thanks for that, I'll try the Archivist at Black Watch Museum to see if they can help.
Regards
Bob.
Maggs of amesbury or figheldean
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 19:40 GMT (UK) »
the best research domain for ww1 (in my experience) is fourteeneighteen/research (chris baker) (www.fourteeneighteen.co.uk)

the amount you pay depends on how in-depth you wish the info to be but it is incredibly inexpensive considering the 30 odd pages that i got that contained therein service records, civil history and decoration (medal) entitlement.

uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline lochee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, anpefa1,
Still waiting for response from Black Watch (I know from previous enquiries that it can take a while)  Thanks for your suggestion, that is worth having a look at.
Regards
Bob.
Maggs of amesbury or figheldean
Fisken of Dundee & Perth
Law of Dundee