Author Topic: Llanidloes Cemeteries  (Read 4048 times)

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llanidloes Cemeteries
« on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I'm searching for my G Grandmother's sister named Ellen williams. She married a schoolteacher who worked in Llawryglyn school untill his retirement in 1909. They moved to Glandwr Villas, Llanidloes but Grlfith (one F) L. Williams died in 1910 & I'm convinced he was buried in the town. I'm after Ellens date of death. There's a nice Obit to him in the local paper. They are not in the big cemetery by the hospital nor in Llawryglyn. I notice there is a locked cemetery near Glandwr Villas & I'm told that it was the Methodist cemetery for China St M.C. Chapel. Does anyone have any further info about it. It seemed very overgrown for such a centre of town sit; are there any records of burials there.

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Llanidloes Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
I've located China St Chapel (M.C.) records at NLW this morning. Grifith L. Williams is buried at Dolhafren.  Does anyone know if there is someone contactable in Llanidloes who might have a list of burials there. I have spent a wet p.m. in Dolhafren a month ago & still couldn't find the grave.

Offline Lilylui

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 June 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi did you manage to get into the cemetery? Was there today and only way in was locked.

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 June 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for that. Dolhafren is the large municipal cemetery by the hospital. It is being catalogued by the Montgomery Genealogical Society. The smaller locked one I did manage to get into about 4 years ago & I think from memory I did have to climb a gate. I found the town clerk o be very helpful &he identified the grave for me in Dolhafren (no stone)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 June 19 10:05 BST (UK) »
I can see Ellen in 1891 and 1901, born Llanllyfni 1847-8, but not in 1911. There is a Williams family in Glandwr Villas but no Ellen.

Also no deaths matching her name and age in the Llanidloes area.

Did she move away or marry again?

David

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 19 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for that and your interest. That's them, Griffith being from Anglesey.
Ellen & son are in Mountain Ash in 1911 following the death of her husband. The son was a miner at the Nixon's Navigation there. Griffith was buried at Dolhafren  but sadly there is no stone. Ellen remained in Mountain Ash until her death in January 1921 but she was buried with her husband. There was a good Obit in the Montgomery Express & Radnor Times (for both of them in fact).
Her sister Sarah Parry who lived in Trewen, Llandinam for years and died in 1925 having moved to Picton Street, Llanidloes. Now she is more of an enigma (turned out her husband was a bigamist who went to the USA) She was Sarah Williams after 1911. She was not a member of China Street chapel & I cannot find an Obit for her (but have her DC) The Obit would have been valuable to see who was there. I would love to know where she is buried, quite possibly in Dolhafren. I have lost my contact number in Llani but this has rekindled my interest again.
Many thanks for your interest.