Author Topic: WHERE ARE THE DENGATES HIDING? HELP!  (Read 10944 times)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WHERE ARE THE DENGATES HIDING? HELP!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 April 05 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suepi,

I did go and see - my James that married Frances Tamsett is unfortunately not there!  But it did maybe clear up a mistake or make things complicated!  At Family Search they have my James parents as James Dengate and Elizabeth Ruffin but this tree clearly show that the James, son of James and Elizabeth Ruffin, marries another plus they have him dying much later than mine, and the chidren of the union don't match my family so - I guess my James parents were not James Dengate and Elizaeth Ruffin or the mistake was made on that tree...probably the Family Search mistake as the tree seems to have dates and references!  SO...

Unfortunately my group does not fit!!  Obviously like everything else it seems my family are the ODD BALLS

LUV
WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 April 05 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have you looked at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~goodwin/dengate.htm

Nathan Goodwin's site is quite comprehensive and has information on James Dengate b 1788 in Wittersham, Kent.  Interestingly, Nathan lists two James Dengates born that year in Wittersham, neither of which seem to have married Frances Tamsett.  One was the son of William Dengate (b 1768).  That James married Charlotte Taylor.  The other married Sarah Bovis.

I hope that Nathan's site is helpful.

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 April 05 21:23 BST (UK) »
Yes I did, see the post before yours.

And yes, niether James seems to be married to my Frances!  So, I guess we continue to hunt!

Thanks
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline timgains

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 April 05 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Luv,

I have a Charlotte Jane Dengate marrying Henry Tutt Gains on 10th June 1846 in Rye, but have her as the daughter of James and Frances and her baptised in Northiam. I can't remember how I got that info though or wether it's correct! The witnesses were Jane Gains and David Dengate. That makes me think that David was her brother. So I might have it all wrong.
I've attached a picture of her from, well you guess. They went to have 8 children having moved up to Woolwich and then Rochester. She Died in 1895 in the Rochester area. In 1881, she was living at 5 Bells Lane Rochester.
Hope some of that helps,
Tim
All Gain/Gayne/Gaines/Gains especially the sussex and Kent areas.

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 April 05 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tim

I have sent you a personal message.

Yes, this would have been a sister of Caroline Dengate!  The BVSI lists Charlotte's baptism as 25 Feb 1821 in Rye.

In fact James and Frances had 12 children, I do not think though that all made it to adulthood

LUV
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 April 05 22:59 BST (UK) »
Tim, LUV:

Do you know whereabouts in Woolwich Charlotte and Henry lived?

In the photograph, he is wearing a naval-type uniform with a very distinctive cap band - I wonder if this can be traced.

In 1841 he was, as far as I can make out from th Enumerator's handwriting, a shipwright's assistant.  According to the '81 Census, he lived after marriage, in Littlehampton, New Brompton and Rochester.  And, of course, he also lived in Woolwich.  Brompton and Rochester are on opposite sides of the Medway.  I wonder if, due to contacts gained when at the boatyard in Rye, he began working on boats, rather than building or repairing them, and then in later age became a Commission Agent.

Let me know your thoughts - I'm not a million miles away from Woolwich.

Deborah
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline thebett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 April 05 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi LUV,
I've only just come across all these Dengate-related messages but would like to say that I've been researching the family for many years and have linked up with Nathan Goodwin for the last 3 years.
1. The will for William is not one of the Rye Dengates.
2. To date we have not been able to confirm the parents of James Dengate who married Frances Tamsett but have some ideas.  He is not one of the James's found on Nathan's site.
3. James was buried in Rye and I have the transcription of the text on the headstone which I can let you have.
4. I have 12 children for James and Frances Tamsett.
5. Caroline Elizabeth Dengate was baptised 12.09.1815 Rye, married John French 18.11.1841 in Rye.  I had not been able to trace them further.
6. 1841 census gives Caroline Elizabeth living with the Filmers in High Street Rye and she is of independent means, together with her sister Charlotte Jane, listed only as Jane.

I have more info available on other branches of the Rye Dengates.
Cheers
thebett

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 April 05 17:21 BST (UK) »
This is great news thebett  ;D

I have sent you a personal message just now.

I can give you the information on Caroline Dengate and John French, this is my family.  They lived in Hastings for 30 plus years.  I have all the census and a few other tidbits I would be happy to pass along.

I also have the same 1841 census plus the 1841 census with Frances and some of the younger children.

Yes I had gathered that my James and family could not be found on Nathan's site.
I would love to hear from you
LUV
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 May 05 22:44 BST (UK) »
LUV and Dimps

Well, rather,  a very thoughtful and kind gentleman named Chris found them.  I went to a Hasting Sussex site (as that is where my Frenchs ended up 1869) and just asked a question and this man did all the leg work! - LUV

Chris in Hastings has helped me before.  It's a shame he isn't still on here. - Dimps

I have just found and read this thread and would like to say thank you to you both for those kind words.

It is nice to know ones efforts to help other researchers is appreciated both on the Hastings 1066 site and here on Rootschat

Once again, A heart felt thank you.

Chris in 1066

One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www