Author Topic: ARTHUR RHODES  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
ARTHUR RHODES
« on: Friday 24 September 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I am asking for help on ARTHUR RHODES.  I don't have very much to go on - no date of birth and no parents.  I do know, however, that Arthur married Florence Helen W. Dawson, born abt. 1872 in Kendal, Westmorland, daughter of Charles and Katherine (nee Smith) Dawson.  I am hoping that Arthur was born in Westmorland as well. 

Arthur Rhodes and Florence Dawson were married in 1895 in Cardiff - another puzzler...a long way from Westmorland.  The BMD ref. number for the marriage is 11a 545 and Florence appears with her full name as above.  I have her on the 1901 census living in Halecote Lodge, Witherslack with her two young sons, Lascelles, age 4, b. in Cape Colony, SA, and 6 mos. old Wynne, b. in Witherslack.  Arthur is nowhere to be seen.  He may have been in the military.  Although I don't have the 1911 census, I have been told that the only member of this family still living in Westmorland at that time was son, Lascelles.  I find this strange as he would be only 14 yrs. of age.  I am also wondering about the South African connection to this family.

I would be most grateful for any help.

Best regards,

Dorothy
Ottawa, ON Canada
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: ARTHUR RHODES
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 September 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
he was arthur henry rhodes according to the free bmd marriage reference.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 September 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
As the marriage is the only lead that you have, then (as long as you are sure it is the right guy) I suggest you get the marriage cert - hopefully it will give a fathers name. ALso an occupation which will confirm if he was a military man.

Other leads are the children - a birth cert for Wynne might help by giving fathers occupation.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 September 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
his full name appears to be Charles Wynne Rhodes
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 September 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
there is an arthur henry rhodes born in westmorland in the right time frame,,he is b 1870,,,,but you would need the details from the marriage or charles wynnes birth cert to cross reference,, ;)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 September 10 01:47 BST (UK) »
For lizdb...

Thank you for writing.  I will send for Arthur and Florence's marriage certificate.  I am sure I have the right couple.

Dorothy

As the marriage is the only lead that you have, then (as long as you are sure it is the right guy) I suggest you get the marriage cert - hopefully it will give a fathers name. ALso an occupation which will confirm if he was a military man.

Other leads are the children - a birth cert for Wynne might help by giving fathers occupation.

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.