Author Topic: McAleer family history in Tyrone  (Read 6670 times)

Offline Cholton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McAleer family history in Tyrone
« on: Thursday 07 April 05 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone know if there has been any family history of the McAleer family? I know the name is not unusual in Tyrone, and I am interested in the area around Lissan and Coalisland.

Thanks,

Cholton

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McAleer family history in Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hiya Cholton,

I have just looked at the catalogue on the NI Libraries site. http://opac.ni-libraries.net  I searched for McAleer. I spotted one book that may be of interest. It was compiled by George McAleer in 1909. It is on the shelves of the Local Studies section of the Central Library, Royal Avenue in Belfast. I presume you would like someone to have a look at this book on your behalf. "A study in the origin and signification of the surmane McAleer and a contribution to McAleer genelaogy"

All the Best, Chris

Offline skems0

• Error with email address please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 07 11:12 BST (UK) »
Morning  Cholton

I don,t if this helps but I have a great gran called Ann McAleer sometimes it is McLeer depending on records who was born in Ireland around 1835/1840 and who married a John Mooney in Paisley/Scotland in 1861.
Her Father was John McAleer and her Mother was Anne McAleer MS McPake.
They all came from the Fermanagh/Tyrone area.

Rgds

Skems0 :)
We are unable to send new password as we only have an old email for you.

Offline KHartley

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 07 22:21 BST (UK) »
The McAleer name shows up in my Maguire Family as well. James Maguire, born 1875 married a Margaret Jane Hunter. They had 2 daughters, one of which died young. The 2nd daughter married an Andrew McAleer - she passed away last year. Andrew McAleer is still alive and just celebrated his 90th birthday recently. Unfortunately, I do not know any of Andy's family history...........

Offline Outthere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 June 23 10:14 BST (UK) »
I have family of McAleers possibly from Tyrone that later moved to Dublin Tyrone family John 1871-1934 Newtontownsteward married Mary Mcloughlin 1871-1934
Any help you can give me would be grateful

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 June 23 10:37 BST (UK) »
I have family of McAleers possibly from Tyrone that later moved to Dublin Tyrone family John 1871-1934 Newtontownsteward married Mary Mcloughlin 1871-1934
Any help you can give me would be grateful

About 5 years ago I did extensive research on a McAleer family from Co. Tyrone so thought I would have a look for John and wife Mary but am struggling to find the marriage. census records, etc. Could you provide more details please.

ADDED- did find what might be John's death in Nov.1934- informant was widow Mary but don;t see death for her.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1934/04835/4303708.pdf

This is possibly a grandchild named John who died at same address later that month-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1935/04815/4296755.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 June 23 12:30 BST (UK) »
I may have found the correct family but all may not be as you think. Do need more details to confirm or rule out what I've found. Children of John & Mary? when family might have moved to Dublin? marriages of children?, etc.

Offline Outthere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 June 23 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi ok please give me a day or two as just filling in some blanks myself will be in touch
If you have an email that would be better

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 June 23 21:44 BST (UK) »
Since I've mostly gone backwards and sideways there aren't any living people involved to it's better if information is posted on the topic in case it could later help others looking for the same family.

Since you seem to know John McAleer died in Dublin (is the death I found earlier correct?) do you know anything about his children? Do you have his marriage to Mary McLoughlin? (I suspect not and there seems to be a very simple reason for this). Where did you actually find Mary's maiden name as McLoughlin?