Author Topic: Bell Family Grimsby look up  (Read 5277 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Bell Family Grimsby look up
« on: Sunday 26 September 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help us with info on this family - details of which have so far eluded us.

All we have is George Frederick Bell b @1898 Grimsby. We know he m 1934 Eva Haines, and was a Headmaster who d in the 1970s. That's all.

Thanks
SFT456

PS we know his father was Tom Bell retired (recorded at his son's wedding)

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Bell Family Grimsby look up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 September 10 14:50 BST (UK) »
HI

Have you managed to find George on the 1901/1911 census ?
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 10 08:18 BST (UK) »
We cannot find him anywhere, Ancestry, FreeBMD, Family Search, 1911 Census etc, no b or d details. Can someone find us an obit maybe in a Grimsby newspaper  - he was a Headmaster, or a bap record in Parish records

SFT456

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 October 10 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was he definitely born in Grimsby ? and was he buried there as well ?  I can pop to the library (I live in Grimsby) they have quite a bit of info there and I'll see what I can find  :)

Fiona

*edited

Just looked on 1911 census found a Lulu Bell, living in Grimsby with sons James and George (b1898)  all three born in New York, checked passanger records - April 1904 arrival on Friesland from Philadelphia Tom Bell, grocer, Lundie Bell and sons James and George, what do you think ?
Cutsforth - Hull
Fryman - Grimsby
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Floss

Thanks that would be a big help, maybe the library will have some info. George Frederick Bell's wife Eva (my Gt Aunt) lives in a home in Grimsby - she's 105, but unfortunately won't be of great help - she doesn't remember much.

Maybe George did come from America, I always thought he was very North Country, but that would explain a total lack of info in this country! I'm pretty sure he is bur or was cremated in Grimsby

When I searched the 1911 Census I put in George and Tom (as another person) but it came up with nothing, only worked with George alone. Unfortunately they are the only 2 I know. Without Tom and George together, the record is just a record - even the Frederick is missing. You have found 2 different mothers - Lulu and Lundie!

Tom must have been b @1870, if he was to qualify as retired at his son's wedding.  Is it possible to look at US Census on Ancestry?

SFT456

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 October 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think Lulu and Lundie are the same have looked at the images again and the passenger one is not very clear.  Might not even be the same family but there's a death of a Lulu Bell in Grimsby in 1925 aged 51 so right age.  Also on another passenger list in 1899 Tom Bell (b c1869), Luda Bell (b1871)  and children Haigh and Thomas James coming from New York to Liverpool.  I don't have access to the US info on Ancestry but it might be worth putting up another message as I'm sure someone will have access  :)
I won't get to the library till Monday/Tuesday but will see what they have
Cutsforth - Hull
Fryman - Grimsby
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 October 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
You can search various censuses here http://beta.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 October 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks again all. I will wait to see what news the library has

SFT456

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 October 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi SFT456

Went to Grimsby Library today, could find no record of a memorial inscription, the librarian looked through the death index for Scartho Road Cemetary (main one) but they only hold records up to 1970 she said it might be worth ringing Grimsby crematorium and they might be able to track down a death date for George Frederick  :-\
However its not all bad news  :) managed to find a copy of a cutting from the Grimsby Evening Telegraph dated 30th March 1960 (pm with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy) gist of report is that George was a teacher and started teaching in 1915 aged 17, he fought during the first world war in the RFA, the cutting is about his retirement but mention nothing about his family or early life.  Had a quick look at Ancestry and theres a George F Bell who served in the RFA living in Cleethorpes, parents Tom and Lulu Bell, born in Niagra Falls, New York !! This ties in with the family on the passenger lists, what do you think ?

Fiona

Cutsforth - Hull
Fryman - Grimsby
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen