Author Topic: British Invasion of the River Plate 1806-1807  (Read 16064 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Invasion of the River Plate 1806-1807
« Reply #36 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria

I have been through the historical records of the 71st HLI. In May 1804 they moved to Rathkeale, Co Limerick with company strength detachments in Newcastle (eight miles away), Tarbert and Askeaton.

Unfortunately no indication of where Lt Murray was. So you will need the muster book next.

ken

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 August 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply.

Just for your information a documentary film will be made on the life of my ancestor in Uruguay by someone who also descendants from him. This is why I am trying to get as much information as I can to reunite Ireland with Uruguay.

I also have looked as to their (71st regiment) where about during that time. 

I notice in the Muster period of 25 June to 24 July which is the period when my ancestor was mentioned as recruited into the British Army on the 22nd May. It notes that Lt Murray was recruiting in Strabane, Ireland and I read somewhere that the British Army had a Garrison until 1922 in the small town of Lifford which is near Strabane.  I haven’t got the previous pay period so can’t say if Lt Murray was recruiting there too. It might be a possibility he was from around this area.

You mentioned my ancestor was in the Grenadier Company when I submitted the image - How did you know that and where does it say on the records??

One last questions that has been puzzling me for years and maybe you could shed some light:

In the Paymaster period 25 June to 24 September 1806. Under Captain Paley’s Company in the 71st Regiment.

The following was noted under remarks for each soldiers. Note that 12th of August was the day General William Beresford surrender in Buenos Aires.

•   4 soldiers killed (all on the 12 August).
•    13 soldiers Remained in South America, including Cornelius Bonner (all on the 13th August)
•   9 solders deserted (five on the 13th August the others a few days later)

The rest of the soldiers (52 soldiers) nothing is written under remarks. There were a total of 78 soldiers in Captain Paley's company.

I am puzzle as to why it says Remained in South America and not Deserted for my ancestor Cornelius Bonner. What does this mean he was given permission to stay there??

I have a digital image of this information you are interested in viewing it.

Thank you and any information is much appreciated.

Maria

Bonner

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
You mentioned my ancestor was in the Grenadier Company when I submitted the image - How did you know that and where does it say on the records??

Hi Maria

It says Capt Forbes's (Gren'r) Company at the top of one of the images you sent.

If it lists men who deserted and some who 'Remained in South America' then you may be correct about them given permission to stay, ie to be discharged.

Ken

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 13 August 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
He Ken,

Thank you.

I have checked the image and it's the Company Lt. Murray was in and remark mentioned that he was recruiting in Strabane. My ancestor was in Captain Paley's company.

I still find it odd that they would discharge them during a war.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Maria
Bonner

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 13 August 15 10:44 BST (UK) »
I do not think they were discharged. The Paymaster stopped paying them when they were taken prisoner.

Ken

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 13 August 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
Ok, thank you Ken.

The investigation continues and I will let you know if we locate his place of birth or any other information.

Maria
Bonner