Author Topic: Garfield Bear Ludgvan, Cornwall to Canada  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Trewren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garfield Bear Ludgvan, Cornwall to Canada
« on: Sunday 26 September 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help to track down the movements of Grt Grand Uncle. Garfield Bear B 1898 Q2 in Ludgvan, Cornwall son of William John Bear and Rhoda Jane Odgers.  I believe he settled in Huntingdon, Montreal Canada and married I think he had a son also called Garfield and perhaps a grandson called Richard. He also had 2 other brothers who I think also moved to the same place each called Ernest Bear  b Q1 1897 and Edwin Redvers Bear b Q3 1900.  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Claire

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Garfield Bear Ludgvan, Cornwall to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 10 04:44 BST (UK) »
Are you sure he came to Canada? I can't find anything that comes close to matching him at Ancestry.ca. There seems to be a Garfield Beare who settled in Wales though.

There was a marriage registered in the 3rd quarter of 1924 in Newport Market between Garfield Beare and Eva Sweeney (volume 11a, page 562). There is also a death for Garfield Beare registered in the 3rd quarter of 1948 in Newport, Gwent (volume 8c, page 156). He was listed as being 50 at the time of his death. There was a birth registered for Frederick G. Beare in the 2nd quarter of 1930 in Newport Market (volume 11a, page 313) - the mother's maiden surname is listed as Sweeney. Frederick Garfield Beare's death was registered in Jun 1984 in Newport (volume 28, page 411). There is also a marriage in 1955 for Frederick G. Beare.

I saw a family tree posted at Ancestry that is owned by a person named Claire. Is that you? I noticed that Ernest is listed as having died in Cornwall, England.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Trewren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
 :)Many thanks Jaquie, I'll check up on this it makes sense.  Yes I do have a tree on Ancestry and I did find a death for Ernest Beare yesterday.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 October 10 08:31 BST (UK) »

There are WW1 Medal Roll Cards for an Edwin Redvers BEARE and Garfield ARE both of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.  So they were still in the UK for WW1.

Karenlee

Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trewren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 October 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
  :) Many thanks I'll follow this up.  I now know that Edwin and Percy Beare both emigrated to Canada in 1925.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 October 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
Are their parents' names by any chance John Henry, instead of William, and Rhoda Jane Hodges?

Just in case, I found this marriage for a Percy Beare ...

Percy Beare, Hotel Clerk, of this Parish, s/o the late John Henry Beare and of Rhoda Jane Hodges of Polpeor, Leland, Cornwall, England
to
Marie Louise Albina Lepage, of this Parish, d/o Olivier Lepage and Delia Riel of this Parish

At St Joseph R Catholic Church, Huntington, Quebec on 29 Dec 1927

They were married by virtue of a dispensation from the impediment of cult (this being that Percy was not of the Catholic religion).

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Trewren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 October 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
 :) Yes Percy was Garfield's younger brother.  I found out that Percy and Edwin Redvers Beare were the only 2 brothers to emmigrate to Canada, whilst I have found out quite a lot abt Percy I'm still trying to trace Edwin, I think he was in aslightly different area to Percy perhaps Hamilton, Ontario.  Many thanks for your help.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 October 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome  :)

I have not had any luck with Edwin either. Unfortunately, privacy laws would preclude finding a marriage for Edwin in Ontario after about 1927 and children's births are protected for 100 years.

However .....

This link below to Canada White Pages will bring up 2 Beares in Hamilton. This seems an unusual name and perhaps if you contacted them they may prove to be related.

http://www.canada411.ca/

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lowlyp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 November 10 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just found this site after googling my father's name - Fredrick Garfield Beare - my name is Lois and I live in Newport so I guess the above posts are about my late dad Fred!!!!!
I would love the chance to have a chat ith you as would my Mum Pauline who is 74 and who can maybe fill in some gaps for you.........