Author Topic: Adam Young and his parents John Young & Elizabeth Currie help  (Read 22918 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Young and his parents John Young & Elizabeth Currie help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 November 10 07:54 GMT (UK) »
JC,

Thanks very much for the reply and great information.

A few months ago I couldn't go past the death of my great grandfather Adam Edward Young in 1902 at Charters Towers Queensland but thanks to RootsChat I have now discovered a lot about a side of my family that was always a mystery.

I do have the 1871 death certificate for Elizabeth Curry from ScotlandsPeople but nothing else.  Would you know if there are any Parish or Church Records available for any other events?

If you need any details on Adam Edward Young, the son of John and Elizabeth who migrated to Victoria Australia please let me know and I'll send you the family information.

Thanks for the tip on Curry in lieu of Currie, it will help

Once again thanks for making contact.

Regards

Gerry   

Offline jeanettec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 November 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gerry,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
For burial information I have contacted the Scottish Borders Council.   Some of the old burial records are in their possession.     I contacted the office at Galashiels on the last occasion, as I was looking at Bedrule in Roxburghshire
They have a website
www.scotborders.gov.uk  which might help you.

The Heritage Hub has recently opened, I have not contacted them, but their website is  archives[at]scotborders.gov.uk (replace [at] with @)I understand.

I have only once contacted a Church for help, but telephoned as my cousin gave me the telephone number of the local postmistress, who gave me the telephone number of the local councillor who gave me the telephone number of the Church Secretary!   No good for you.   Perhaps if you put the name village or town in question they will have a web site which might point you in the right direction.   Sorry, not much help, someone else may be more forthcoming.

I do make use of the following site -
www.maxwellancestry.com/census
It's super for no charge you can often access the census records of 1841, 1851 & 1861  and follow the fortunes of family members.    As many of them worked as agricultural labourers or shepherds they could move frequently.  There were the annual hirings, when workers gathered to be hired for another year.    (My Mother well remembered the hirings in May in Kelso Square, the farm workers came with their carts loaded with their worldly possessions, and the horses she said were decorated, tails plaited).

If you do go on this site and check the 1861 Berwickshire records you will find living at 7 Newton Street, Mid Div. Duns (3 rooms with windows) is
Elizabeth Young aged 64, Widow, Shepherd's wife born England.
Elizabeth is living with her son Andrew aged 35 Clerk in Lawer's office (managing) his wife Agnes and a Boarder.

Also living in Duns is Mary Young, aged 21 house maid born Gordon, working for James Cunningham, Solicitor & Bank Agent.  This house has 12 rooms with windows.

William Young can be found at Shepherd's House, Harrietfield, Nenthorn. After 1861 he and his wife had a further six children.    I check up on the familysearch site for these, it is just so expensive otherwise, they all had such large families.

If you check in the Roxburghshire records living at Sprouston at Gateside with 2 windows are Walter Curry Shepherd and his wife Janet & family of 9.  Also listed is
Robert T. Young, Servant aged 22, Shepherd born Gordon.

This Walter Curry was Elizabeth Currie's nephew (one of the sons of her eldest brother Thomas Curry)     His wife was formerly Janet Young.

The Curry family was a large extended family and often employed a family member.

I guess at the moment you are concentrating on Adam Young's family and their details.    I will gladly share my records if you ever feel you want to expand.

I await, with interest to learn if you discover the vessel which Adam sailed on.

I know other Youngs went to Australia, I can look through my records to see if I can find the paperwork.     Also Elizabeth's niece Ann Curry went to Australia, other family went to America.

Regards, JC

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Jc,

I'm back again.

Thanks for the site information especially the maxwellancestry one and I'll be emailing the heritage hub site as well.

While I should be concentrating on Adam Young I got sidetracked after I found the "Durham Bishop's Transcripts" on FamilySearch site and have turned up some great documents for Kirknewton including the marriage of Elizabeth Curry and John Young in 1822, the death of Ann Curry in 1807, the death of Walter Hall Curry plus other great information.

You are sure right about big families, at this point in time I have John Young's parents as Andrew Young and Mary Clarke and there were 10 children including John Young who married Elizabeth Curry.  I also have William Curry and Ann Hall having a lot of children as well, at least 9 at this point in time including Elizabeth.

I haven't found out as yet how Adam Young came out to the Colony of Victoria I have him as a Blacksmith around 1860 at Smythesdale near Ballarat.  he was married in 1864, his wife Elizabeth (nee Hayes) died in 1871 and he died in 1880 leaving 2 sons whom I have recently found out went to live with their late mother's sister at Kyabram in Victoria. 

The following site which was posted by another RootsChat member on 1st Sept 09 has some information on William Curry.

www.communities.northumberland.gov.uk then under Wooler Community then manuscripts has some information mentioning a William Curry under the documents "men and Carts 1798" and also "Land Tax 1806" 

I'm trying to get what I have into some form of order as more information comes to hand, I do have a software program which I'm learning how to use.

Regards

Gerry

Offline jeanettec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gerry,
Thanks for the mail.    I have tried to gain access to the Durham Bishops Transcripts via. familysearch, without success.   Is this the LDS site?    Could you give me some pointers just how you get into the site please, I am not very computer literate I must emphasise.

Elizabeth Curry(Currie) had eight brothers and sisters, I have their details but it would seem you have found them out for yourself, but if you want any more details I will gladly share.

I have some fiche I could check for 'Youngs' when I have the opportunity.

I had seen the Wooler site you mention, and did wonder if the William Curry was part of my tree.     

Regards, JC

Offline jeanettec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 December 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gerry,
I'm not sure how much you want to bother about the Curry side, but if you want to find out a starting point would be Elizabeth's eldest brother, Thomas.
Thomas Curry born 19 March 1777 married Isabella Wilson on 17th February 1808 at Kirknewton.  Their first three children were born in Morebattle, Roxburghshire, Scotland (just down the road from Kirknewton)
Familysearch batch no. C118012 (Ann Curry was born in Morebattle).
They moved back to Northumberland and their next seven children were christened at West Chapel Presbyterian Church, Wooler, familysearch batch no. POO4531 refers.     I have the birth dates, these are the christening dates.

The above Ann Curry married  John Younger 1831 and they, together with their children including John Curry Younger (born Coldstream in 1840) emigrated to Australia in 1856 sailing on 'Almora arriving at Port Philip 13th September.    A Curry family tree colleague has a family bible in which is written 'John C. Younger, Yearing, Lilydale Post Office, Melbourne, Australia.  It is now presumed the spelling should have been Yering, which I understand is a wine-growing area.

If you can check YOUNGER on rootsweb for 2003 there is apparently a site dealing with the Younger family in Australia.   Grenville Younger has been making enquiries on this part of his family tree.

Haven't been on the Bishops Transcripts yet - so much snow here, impressive to look at, but not as much fun as it was when I was a child!
Regards, JC

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 December 10 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JC for the email,

Thanks for the information on Thomas I thought he had married an Isabella but I hadn't looked beyond that because I have been concentrating on Elizabeth.

Interesting that John Curry Younger was born at Coldstream in 1840 and migrated to Australia because my Adam Young was also born at Coldstream around 1830 and migrated as well.  I'll check out the Younger trees.

I had a significant find yesterday with a coroners enquiry into the death of Adam Young's wife Elizabeth in 1870, she was only 28.  Mentioned in the report was information of where she came from in Ireland and how long she had been in Victoria which lines up with a ship that I thought Elizabeth had came out on,  more importantly though was the mention of her mother living 5 km away.  While I was aware that her mother had come out to Victoria from Tipperary at some stage I didn't know where she went to but now I know it was before 1870 and where she was living. 

We are seeing a lot of TV about your weather and for us Aussies a lot of snow looks like fun but I can imagine that the novelty would wear off after a few days.

All the best.

Gerry

Offline jeanettec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 December 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Gerry, thanks for your reply.
That was a real find - Adam Young's mother-in-law living in the vicinity.   You really are making super progress, it's like that with family tree, then you can go into a time when it's very slow, or worse, nothing.

I apologise I didn't even give you a clue of Thomas & Isabella's children's names and dates to start off at West Chapel Presbyterian NC Church, Wooler.
The first one to find is Walter, b.6.7.1814 , then Thomas, George, Margaret, Isabella, William (the first William born in Morebattle Scotland died in 1822) and lastly another Margaret in 1830, the first Margaret having died in 1827.

The Currys often followed the Scottish naming pattern, i.e. the first son is named for his paternal Grandfather, first daughter for her maternal Grandmother, second son for his maternal Grandfather, second daughter for her paternal Grandmother.  Often if a son or daughter died then the next girl or boy would be given their name.    It's not a hard-fast rule, but very often a good clue when researching.

Best regards, JC

Offline gryounger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My GGF was Adam Edward Young who died in charters Towers Queensland in 1902 and from his death Registration I had that Adam's parents were Adam Edward Young and mother Kate Hayes and I thought that he must have came out from the UK for the North Queensland gold rush but an astute Rootschatter found that he was actually born in the Colony of Victoria in 1864 with his parents coming out as single persons for the Victorian gold rush then marrying in Victoria in 1862.

His parents being Catherine Hayes and Adam Young

I purchased a copy of the marriage certificate for Catherine Hayes  and Adam Young to get any important research information that I could and now I would like to find out more about Adam Young and Catherine Hayes starting off with Adam.

What I know

The 1862 marriage certificate states that Adam's Young was 30 and born in Berwickshire Scotland and his mother was Elizabeth Currie and father John Young.  Catherine Hayes was 21, born in County Limerick Ireland and her parents were John Hayes and Elizabeth Quinley.

I would appreciate any information on on Adam Young (Adam edward Young) and his family.  Adam was born in Berwickshire Scotland around 1832 whose parents were John Young and Elizabeth Currie.

Regards

Gerry

Offline gryounger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 05:10 BST (UK) »
I am that Grenville Younger!  - GG grandson of John & Ann [nee Curry] Younger

My John & Ann arrived in Melbourne in 1856, went to Yering shortly afterwards, purchasing land there in 1861. They followed some other relatives here, who also went to Yering about the same time. John Curry Younger my G grandfather.

Glad [love to!] to have contact, I am always interested to learn more of the story.

Grenville Y