Author Topic: Ellen LAMBERT convict or free settler?  (Read 12227 times)

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen LAMBERT convict or free settler?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my mistake about the death age of Robert junior.  Mixed him with Frederick, the youngest son who died in 1847. However, according to LoganH's references there was a mention of Robert Lambert SENIOR so I'm just guessing that  the missing child (eldest son's) name must be Robert also. Cheers Julie
Schmitzer, Newman, Davidson, Bryden , Hoy, Carter, Beck, Lambert, Swinburn(e), Death, Bruce, Frey, Orr, Hoyle

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,
Yes I looked for a Robert Jnr Christening but could not find one sorry.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline veekaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Am I too late coming in on this?  Robert Lambert, from Streatham, Surrey, married Grace HOYLE (not Haylesh) in Northumberland. Grace was a Ripponden Hoyle, (John Hoyle - Agnes Hanson) ancestry traceable back to the Norman invasion in 1066. 
Their 7 children were Jane b Surrey 14 Nov 1811, Robert, b London 2 Feb 1813, John Ward B Ripponden, Yorkshire 29 Jan 1815, Agnes b Ripponden 1816 (presumed died in infancy) Ellen b Ripponden 24 Apr 1818, Frederick Henry b 1820 Manchester, Clara b 18 Jun 1823.
Robert is not listed with the family on their arrival in the colony with 5 servants, but he was working on the family property "Holwood" Kings Plains, together with John.
Check out "Hoyle Connection" family tree on Ancestry.com.au.
Any extra information or amendments to this tree welcomed.

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 03:07 GMT (UK) »
It's never too late to learn more! That is all welcome and intriguing  information... thanks so much. Unfortunately I'm not member of Ancestry at this point (but have been considering it) so, much to my frustration, I can't get into the Hoyle Connection tree. I could send you a personal message with my email address if you like and I would be happy to share any of my research (small though it may be) on the Ellen Lambert/Adam Swinburn line. Cheers and thanks Julie
Schmitzer, Newman, Davidson, Bryden , Hoy, Carter, Beck, Lambert, Swinburn(e), Death, Bruce, Frey, Orr, Hoyle

Offline veekaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Jules, email me at (*) I have quite a bit of information gathered over the years.

Moderator CommentL email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline bleasby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 15 July 12 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if you realise, but the property of Robert Lambert was called "Holwood", named after the Surrey home of Robert's sister Jane Frances who married John Ward Esquire. John Ward was a Member of Parliament, and his Surrey property was previously the home of Prime Minister William Pitt. He acquired great wealth in property, trade and connections.
Robert and Grace's son John Ward may have been named after the previous John Ward.

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 July 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your information...... the puzzle is gradually being filled in with all the tiny pieces! How are you connected with the family? Any further information would be gladly received. Cheers Julie

Offline bleasby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 July 12 06:32 BST (UK) »
Your Robert Lambert was the half-brother of Fenton Thomas Lambert. He had a son Thomas Fenton Lambert who married my ancestor's sister, whose name was Mary Lambert(no relation as far as I can work out but same surname)
The Lambert family lived at Elland Hall in Halifax, which was pulled down some years ago.
Robert Lambert, set up his sons Fenton Thomas and Robert in partnership as Cotton Manufacturers at Lambert's Mill, Ripponden (1800, 1809), later known as Stone's Mill. Apparently the partnership was dissolved  when Robert Lambert emigrated to Australia. 
Hope this helps, I don't know how much you know about the family. I can imagine that Ellen marrying a convict did not go down too well, seeing that her father employed convict labour.

Offline bleasby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 July 12 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am new to rootschat, but I am wondering if you have any information regarding the Lambert family of Yorkshire. My ancestor was Thomas Lambert, a tanner at Dodworth Green. I haven't been able to trace his parentage, but he married Mary Garlick, the Garlicks being a prominent family in Barnsley and Dodworth
Thomas's daughter Mary married Thomas Fenton Lambert, grandson of Robert Lambert who married Grace Hoyle, although as far as I can see Mary and Thomas Fenton were not related.
Thomas had a son William Garlick Lambert who I am descended from.
Cheers, Julie