Author Topic: Peter Sievers publican 1842 Stepney  (Read 1587 times)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Peter Sievers publican 1842 Stepney
« on: Monday 27 September 10 12:24 BST (UK) »
I have come across a court case in which my ancestor Peter Sievers states that he was running a "beer house" in Cannon Street (the Stepney one, I assume) when some men stole his fittings, claiming it was in pursuit of a debt. Unfortunately no name or address is given.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find more?
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Sievers publican 1842 Stepney
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 September 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
It depends on where the court case was heard.   One good start would be the library local to where the incident took place, because they may have newspapers in archive from the time.  Another possibility would be the Old Bailey Online site, in the hope that it was heard there.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 September 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
It is the Old Bailey - I have seen the court case, but it doesn't give any clues except to name Cannon Street. I have assumed that it was the one in Stepney, because that is where he lived, rather than the one in central London.
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 September 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
But trying to find the newspapers is a good idea - thanks for that.

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 September 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I wonder if this is him in 1836 - a host of addresses including the Champs Elysees! http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/19438/pages/2134  3rd entry, 2nd column.
Regards
Rob

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks, it is him, but we already know about the London Gazette entries.

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I just checked the court case again, and the date was 1847, not 1842