Author Topic: oak terrace, swansea in 1901. where is it?  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Richard Morgan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: oak terrace, swansea in 1901. where is it?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 November 20 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,my dad lived in 110 Oak terrace.The street I believe was opposite the St Joseph's chapel up Covent street.It got flattened during the war.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 November 20 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Richard, a very warm welcome to Rootschat. This is certainly a blast from the past.

Oak Terrace appears on the 1871 Census (4 properties, including the "Hearts of Oak Inn" at No. 4). They appear between "4 Llangyfelach Road and Brynmelin Terrace". The entry after "Brynmelyn Terrace" is "Anne Street".

An "Oak Terrace" does not appear in Censuses 1881-1911.

An "Oak Terrace" cannot be found on any of the maps (earliest 1879) that I've checked. The National Library of Wales has an 1879 Swansea Town Plan but no mention of "Oak Terrace". The map shows "Brynmelyn Terrace" incorporated in "Llangyfelach Street". The Swansea Lost Pubs site has "Hearts of Oak Inn" in Brynmelin Street

However, checking the Welsh newspapers on line I can find dozens and dozens of newspaper articles 1880-1919 referring to "Oak Terrace, Swansea" (occasionally "Oak Terrace, Greenhill" or "Oak Terrace, Pentre"). A lot of the articles have reasonably unusual names for the residents of "Oak Terrace" which makes it possible to check them out on the Census. In a couple of instances where I was reasonably sure I'd found the person referred to in the newspaper article, and the date of Census was close the the date of newspaper article, the Census address turned out to be "Llangyfelach Street" not "Oak Terrace". There were a few more where the article was within a few years of Census and "Llangyfelach Street" again as the Census address.

I need to do a bit more checking!!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 November 20 14:46 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 source record is the Census sheet as completed by the Head of Household. There are several examples of the Head of Household entering the address as "Oak Terrace" eg.

Cotter, 113 Oak Terrace
Kenealy, 116 Oak Terrace

However, when the basic details were transferred to the Enumerator's List they were recorded as -

113 Llangyfelach Street, Cotter
116 Llangyfelach Street, Kenealy