Author Topic: Afflick family of Woolwich 1820's 1830's  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Afflick family of Woolwich 1820's 1830's
« on: Tuesday 28 September 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

I am seeking some help to track down the birth details for Ann Afflick born some time between 1820's and 1830's. She consistently gives her place of birth as Woolwich, Kent in Census records.

On 16 Jan 1854 Ann Afflick spinster of full age married Richard Norton Garrett bachelor also of full age at St. Anne's church, Limehouse, Middlesex. On the Marriage record she gave her father as Richard Afflick whose occupation is given as Purser. One of the witnesses which could be Ann's sister or mother is Eliza Afflick. The other witness was Charles Garrett (Richard Norton Garrett's father).

I have been unable to find Ann Afflick or Richard Afflick (but he could have been in the Navy) in the 1841 Census.

Ann Afflick (transcribed as Offlick) appears in the 1851 Census, age 30 born in Woolwich abt. 1821, as a servant to Charles Garrett (Richard Norton Garrett's father) living in Limehouse, Middlesex.

Ann Garrett (ne Afflick) appears in the 1861 Census, age 30 born in Woolwich abt. 1831, as wife to Richard N. Garrett living in West Ham, Essex. Interestingly a William Afflick age 13 born abt. 1848 in Limehouse appears with the same household as a visitor. I have wondered whether William is in fact a younger brother or nephew of Ann Afflick.

In the 1871 Census Ann gives her age as 44 and year of birth as 1827, In the 1881 Census she gives her age as 53 with a birth year of 1828, and in 1891 (name miss-transcribed as Ann Garrell with husband Reeta Norton Garrell!!) she gives her age as 58 with a birth year of 1833. In every census she gives her place of birth as Woolwich and her residence with her husband was in West Ham.
I haven't been able to find her or her husband in the 1901 Census.

Any help to track down the Afflick family would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Afflick family of Woolwich 1820's 1830's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Looks like Ann is in Greenwich in 1841, a female servant.

HO107; Piece 489; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Greenwich; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 17; Page: 26; Line: 24;
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Afflick family of Woolwich 1820's 1830's
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks for the info. I can just about make out the name and indication of occupation as F. S. on the "Ancestry" record but I am unsure who she was a servant too. Also it appears that she was living at Esther Place, Bridge Street in the St. Alphage area of Greenwich.

Above her name is one stroke on the census enummerators record sepaerating her form the names above. Would this mean that she is not living with the named persons above who have 2 stroke above the head Charlotte ?????

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts