Author Topic: CATER - Southwark  (Read 7942 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CATER - Southwark
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 20:05 BST (UK) »
Possible remarriage for  Elizabeth Rebecca Cater - Christchurch sept 1902 2b 1485 to either Alfred Baker or John Thomas Hunter.

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Keep this one as a note
1891 census rg12 246 93 32
William Cater 45 St Giles SAW DUST /TIMBER DEALER ( this kind of ties in with his occupation in 1881)
Emma Cater 39 Ramsgate

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
Think it's back to the drawing board. 1881 census ref rg11 385 82 39 has James Beaver with Elizabeth R , John J and Robert.

John

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
I'd found the two baptisms Jennifer.  Thanks John - no you're not mad!!!
Not had time to do much looking tonight - had the financial adviser round and now he's gone its bedtime!
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
The William and Emma Cater that you found on the 1891 [I think] refers to William Cater aged 24 who married Emma Cox aged 21 13 April 1884 in St. James, Shoreditch.  Courtesy Ancestry. 

This William was too old to be the son of 'our' William.  His son William was born c. 1878.  BUT, his father was a William Charles Cater and a 'carpenter' to boot.  There must be some relationship between all these Caters!

Anna

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 22:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry John, the William and Emma's marriage that I found is obviously a different one from your 1891 census, the ages are far too way out.  Does this mean that Elizabeth died and William remarried to an Emma? 

There is a death for an Elizabeth Cater.  This Elizabeth Cater died aged 48 in the September 1885 quarter in the St. Georges Hanover Square Ref. 1a 298.

Anna

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
I have found William and Emma Cater on the 1901 RG13 261 82 page 20.  William is still a 'sawdust dealer' but his place of birth is given as Broadstairs.  Is he 'our' William'?  I'm not sure.

Anna

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 September 10 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisajj,
Having seen your financial adviser does he think you can afford one more certificate. My reasons for asking are we seem to be really unsure of who William married. Its been suggested ordering Annies birth cert to double establish mothers surname-is it as Elizas. You could order William Henry's that would do as well. Can I ask how you got back to William on the 1881 census. Are you related to one of his children.

John

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 September 10 08:31 BST (UK) »
The Cater family aren't part of my family, I'm just helping a friend who's stuck!  I think I will get back to him and see if he's got some more information.  He sent me some details of Eliza Cater and I went from there.  The family on the 1881 that I found were the only ones that sort of matched.  He said that Eliza had a brother called William.  I've found both Eliza and her husband and William and his wife on the 1911.  The addresses given there match the info that my friend sent me.  I'll ask him to send me a scan of Eliza's marriage and birth certificates.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....