Author Topic: Buckham, Dickson from Cranshaws  (Read 3616 times)

Offline jjohnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buckham, Dickson from Cranshaws
« on: Wednesday 29 September 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track down an Adam Buckham born about 1817-18. In the US census, he says he was born in Scotland. His wife was Catherine and they had several children in the New York area - Stephen P born 1849 and Mary born 1853.

I found a Adam Buckman born 1818 son of Adam Buckham born about 1787 and Elizabeth Ridell Dickson born about 1797/1802 in Berwickshire. They had several chidlren Adam born either 1818 or 1824, Isabell born 1825 and several others including Mary born 1849.

I have a request for naturalization for Adam Buckham in New York City dated 5 July 1849 and the witness was Isabella Buckham. The similarity of Isabell names is hard to ignore.

My problem -- Adam BORN 1818 is found in the 1841 & 1851 Scottish census in Berwickshire - and I do not believe he could be in both countries in that close of a time period -- do not believe he had that kind of money.

Any help determining if these are the same Buckhams or not would be appreciated.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Buckham, Dickson from Cranshaws
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
The only thing I can add at the moment is that the Adam in Cranshaws, b. Jedburgh, was recorded as being infirm. Also, his age on the website I found this on has his age as 34 and the others in the house were 30 and under all recorded as sons and daughters! In 1841, Cranshaws,  there was a father, Adam 54, wife Elizabeth 44 with, amongst several children, an Adam b c 1818. He is probably the one who went to U.S.A. and married Catherine. So, my guess is that you are correct and that it you have found the correct Adam's birth in 1818.
I see that Adam snr and Elizabeth Dickison were married 1816, Roxburgh.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
hi all  :)

1841 and 1851 here(possibly a better transcription ?) -

http://maxwellancestry.co.uk/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=73401016

http://maxwellancestry.co.uk/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=73401016

it looks like the same family so i doubt this is the adam you are looking for  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking that, ev, as the transcription I looked at didn't include Elizabeth and had Adam as Head!
Back to the drawing board.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline jjohnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
That was my problem - the fact that Isabell Buckham witnessed his naturalization in the US and the Cranshaws Adam had a sister Isabella - in one census he is listed to be born about 1818 -- what threw me was the fact that in 1851 census he is listed as infirm and still there.  I was wondering if they might have written down the wrong Adam as the senior  Adam would probably have been infirm -- and the gave the age of Adam as being born about 1824.  But like all genealogy - nothing is what it seems to be.  It was to perfect to be true.

Right now there are not many Adam Buckham's born about 1818 in Scotland.  And cannot find any passanger lists for him coming to the US either.  Have an Adam Buckam born about 1818 emigrating to New York in 1834 or 1835 and listed as a blacksmith.  That is the only one I can find.

Found an Adam Buckham being buried in New York City born about 1818 so am trying to get information on that.  If anyone can come up with an further possibilities, I would appreciate it.  Did not think Buckham was a common Scottish name, saw several in England but not many in Scotland.  All the US census shows him being from Scotland.

This is not as bad though as trying to track down a Jones from Wales .......... that is like a Smith or Jones here in the US ---- thousands of them. :-)

Thanks for all your help

Offline Mountainpeople

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 15:08 BST (UK) »
There used to be a lot of Dicksons around the Coldstream/Leitholm area of Berwickshire. I know this because my mother used to be a housekeeper in Belchester Lodge, just outside Leitholm, and that house dated back to the sixteenth century - it still retained the original peel tower in the middle, and the cellar to hide in if the house was attacked - and the house was owned by the Dicksons family until - I think - the mid 1850's. They were a wild Border raiding family as I recall, but I can ask my mother for more information if you think it's the same Dicksons. Oddly enough, I live in Sutherland and my doctor is called Dr Dickson, and, yes, he was connected to the Berwickshire Dicksons!
Grays, Dunns, McKinlays, Frasers, Hannays, Thomsons, East Lothian, Dumfriesshire, Glasgow. Adams, Kings, Floods, Woolfe's, Exeter, London

Offline epfedin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hello
I did the MI for Longformacus Parish last year which was published by Borders Family History Society. 
The Buckhams were living at Scarlaw and Rawburn in the parish of Longformacus
Adam Buckham shepherd Scarlaw died 1846 aged 62
Adam Buckham son of the above who also died at Scarlaw in 1855 aged 37
Isabella, daughter of the first Adam Buckham who died at Scarlaw in 1867 aged 44 years
Elizabeth Dickson wife of the first Adam Buckham who also died at Scarlaw 1869 aged 72 years
I also have an Adam Buckham born in 1864, son of a John Buckham.
The Buckham families were still in the area around 1915 when a John Buckham was one of the casualties of the First World War.  Hopefully, the above will help you to sort out the Adams that you have.  Isabella was a very common name in the 19th Century.

Elma

Offline jjohnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Elma - that sorted the problem out --- not the way I wanted but then, that is genealogy.  I will have to find another Adam Buckham from Scotland born 1818.

Thank you everyone for your help and assistance.

Cheers from Charlotte, North Carolina, USA (Just spent 6 months in Barnsley, South Yorkshire)