Author Topic: Inquest Records  (Read 2274 times)

Offline lesleymatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inquest Records
« on: Thursday 30 September 10 16:37 BST (UK) »
Evening all,

I have just received the birth and death certificates for my Great Great Grandfather.  His cause of death is shown as 'Suicide by hanging'.  In the informant box it reads 'Certificate received from E.W. Norris, Coroner for the Honour of Pontefract. Inquest held 15th January 1921'.  His address at the time of death was in Siddal, Yorkshire.

Does anyone know if inquest records were kept and archived, and if so where?

Many thanks

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 September 10 16:42 BST (UK) »
Under the Home Office Circular 250/1967, a schedule of destruction of coroners records is laid down. While they are within the definition of public records and open to the public after 75 years many will not have survived those 75 years. Once 15 years old the records can be weeded,' that is destroyed or sampled by the individual coroner concerned.
See http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/law/research/coroners/records.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 September 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
There are exceptions to the 15 year destruction, and apparently it is not compulsory so some coroners choose not to destroy them. Therefore individual Coroners decide what happens to the papers, but very many of them were destroyed by the coroner anyway, hence there are regional variations in survival. It is a simple enough matter to enquire at the appropriate county record office, which will almost certainly know what is available and where it is.
A newspaper report is probably your best bet.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleymatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 September 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan,  Will have to try and find out what local newspaper were around in 1921.

Thanks again

Offline LindaJ1959

• RootsChat Member
  • Florence, my Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 October 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
Lesley, I've found reference librarians very helpful in this situation. If you contact the reference library for the area in which the death occurred, give them the name and address of the deceased, and the dates of the death and the inquest, they will probably come up with the goods for you. You may have to pay a small charge for the photocopying and postage, or they may e-mail you a scan.

Good luck!

Linda
Francis, Sopp, and Durrant: all in Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire.
Durrant: Toronto, Canada; Los Angeles, California, USA.
Poynter, Fidler. Rolfe, Hedges and Scorey: all in Hampshire.
Allen: Dorset/Somerset/Wiltshire, and Longford, Derbyshire.
Miles: Bournemouth.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleymatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 October 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda,

My father lives in West Riding Yorkshire and I live in Kent.

He is going to the reference library on Monday armed with relevant information.  He tends to do the Archives and cemetery stalking bit and I do the internet, cross referencing and certificate bit.  He has been to the library so often now, he is on first name terms with the staff  ;D

I agree with you, they are very helpful and are always willing to help my dad with research and queries.  They will often phone him to say that they have come across bits and pices we maybe interested in.

Thanks again

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 October 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Inquest records are hit and miss.  Sometimes they are destroyed, sometimes they are kept by the Coroner's office and sometimes archived in the county records office/archives.

I was also able to look at a 1936 inquest at the London Metropolitan Archives despite being told by someone it wasn't legal - the archivist said the rules had changed.

But newspaper reports are usually traceable.  If you're lucky it might make The Times, which is available online - most public libraries have a sub to it.  If not, a local studies centre, library or archive might be able to help.  Since you have the exact date of the inquest, searching isn't a major task and shouldn't take too much time.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex