Author Topic: Living "Pughs" in Dolgellau related to Hugh Pugh, Buarth Will, Arthog-born 1810?  (Read 4400 times)

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hoping to come across any living relatives of my gr. gr. gr. granfather, Hugh Pugh (born 1811 Dolgellau-died 1898 Arthog) who married and settled in Buarth Will, Arthog with his wife Margaret.

If he was born in Dolgellau, I'm sure he must have had brothers and sisters and I guess there's a good chance that some of their decendants are still alive.

Or...does anybody have any idea how I would go about finding more about Hugh Pugh and his siblings/parents prior to 1837...?

Thank you for your time

Arwel
Pugh - Dolgellau/Arthog/Ffestiniog
Evans - Dolgellau/Llanegryn (Felin Fach)
Jones - Treherbert/Ffestiniog, Dolwyddelan
Lewis - Pentre Gwynfryn, Llanbedr
Morris - Cricieth/Llanystumdwy, Ffestiniog
Jones - Dolgellau/Dolgledr (Craigyrhelbul)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Living "Pughs" in Dolgellau related to Hugh Pugh, Buarth Will, Arthog-born 1810?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
[b]...Anyone...please...!!!    [/b] :'(

Offline ruchca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 Hi I have 2 Hugh Pughs in my tree but not that birth date, But same area. They were a big and well respected family. One of thr most important was Rev William Pugh rector of Argoed. This could be a descenant, also I notice your interests included Gwynfryn, this is where some of the family lived. Can you give me a bit more info or more names and I will see if they are in my tree? The Rev Wm was born in Dolgelly 1750 1845 he and his wife had 11 children. Only 1 outlived him that was William 1791 1858.   Cheers. Christine.   
CARTER PAULTON SOMERSET, HARDWICK LLANBISTER RADNOR,  KING ALTON PRIORS WILTSHIRE, THOMAS LLANBEDR MERIONETH,

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Christine, thanks for your message.

Do you use Ancestry.co.uk at all?  It may make more sense for me to show you my tree rather than try to list everything here!

I have a Hugh Pugh born abt 1810/1 in Dolgellau but no more information regarding his parents or siblings.  Pugh certainly was a common name in the area at that time!  All of Hugh Pugh's decendants are very well documented but gathering information before 1837 has proven almost impossible!

Regards,

Arwel

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Living "Pughs" in Dolgellau related to Hugh Pugh, Buarth Will, Arthog-born 1810?
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
I believe I have now found the parents for Hugh Pugh.  Hugh was born 18th Feb 1810, to a John Pugh and wife Elizabeth at Pant y Piod, Dolgellau (or Llanfachreth).

I have also found a death at Pant y Piod on 28th Jan, 1820.  Dorothy Pugh died aged 90 therefore she was born abt 1730.  I can only assume that my ancestors were still living at this address in 1820 therefore, Dorothy Pugh could well be the mother of the above, John Pugh or maybe his father's unmarried sister....?

In another record, I found that on the 8th Aug 1824 Anne Pugh was born, the illigitimate daughter of Hugh Pugh, Nannau (Gamekeeper) and Margaret William, Pant y Piod.  I'm assuming in that case, if the William family were at Pant y Piod in 1824, my 'Pughs' must have moved on, unless Margaret William was a servant for my ancestors at the address.

What a mine field this family history lark is!  It is taking up so much of my time and indeed...life at the moment and I don't seem to be getting much further back at all!  Its so frustrating although interesting and addictive!

If anyone has any information on any of the above or indeed, any tips to share about how and where to get further information, pre 1800's, I would be eternally greatfull!

Cofion,

Arwel