Author Topic: ***Perthshire, Magagbie McGillivray ba1837  (Read 2643 times)

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
***Perthshire, Magagbie McGillivray ba1837
« on: Saturday 02 October 10 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hello lister.

I need help with this one!

The history of my research is that I am tracking down my mother-in-laws family and hve established that her ancestor was the original Bolt that arrived from London circa 1866 with the 4th Hussars (he was born in Middlesex) and married a local lass, Betsy Fergusson. 

Betsy's brother, Andrew Fergusson (slater Journeyman... illiterate) married the curiously named Magagbie McGillivray.  Now, to put you in the picture, i don't think they were well educated as I have found a newspaper entry for Betsy appearing before the Parochial Board charged with not educating her children (she couldn't afford it).

Also, the common addresses of residence appear to be 101 High Street which, looking at olf maps of Perth, may well be a paupers hostel.

On top of that, Andrew and Magagbie's daughter then goes on to marry the son of Thomas and Betsy Bolt- marrying cousins isn't illegal but it sure makes Christmas awkward!

If anyone can help me establish who this "Magagbie McGillvary" is and whether the unusual name is the result of illiteracy or something else would be much appreciated.

Sincere;y,

Chris O'Sullivan   ;D

Offline Oramazda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ***Perthshire, Magagbie McGillivray ba1837
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 October 10 08:17 BST (UK) »
There's a Magdaline Macgillivray born 1836 in Perth in the 1841 about the closest I can find. Depends on where you got your original reference from. You have to be aware that, if from ancestry, some of the translation was done in the Indian sub-continent and English was not their native language. I had one who was a venflon blonde maker (never made one for me!) turned out he was a Venetian blind maker.
McNaught, Robertson, Wighton, Duncan, Dawes, Fyffe, French, Getty, Herdman, Jelly, Gourlay, Vickers, Armstrong, Ruffell.

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 October 10 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hehe.. thanks for that.  The idea of a blond maker is funny!

The information was from the Scotlands People website but i feel it must be a mis-reading of the certificate or the recording of the information was wrong through misunderstanding her accent or somesuch.

A quick google search found no Magagbie and the closest thing was the mis-spelling of Magaggie on Maggie Simpsons' birthday cake.  Lol.

Unfortunately I have run out of credits to try and get hold of the certificate online but Magdaline seems more likely.  Will let you know if i find anything else!  Thanks for taking the time to look at it for me!

Offline carrumba

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Ok as an update... she indeed is Magagbie on her marriage certificate.  Now she either liked to be called that or the recorder of the marriage couldn't make out what she was saying!  Going by the parents listed on the certificate (Hugh McGillivary and Isobel McGillivary nee Hood) I have established her name was indeed Magdalin (Magdalene).  Phew!

Her father was a weaver nad worked in the dye works.  Just goes to show how poor these families were - her sister Margaret was listed as a "winder" at 10 years of age.

Thanks for the help!   ;D

Offline Oramazda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Always glad to be of service. I've found that the people on here are always friendly and willing to help. Feels good to be able, in a small way, to return the favour.
McNaught, Robertson, Wighton, Duncan, Dawes, Fyffe, French, Getty, Herdman, Jelly, Gourlay, Vickers, Armstrong, Ruffell.