Author Topic: BERRY  (Read 24592 times)

Offline Cawaja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BERRY
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 October 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
Sue,
   Sorry for the delay. Got busy with work. I did discover a new date for you: Alex. Berry m. Arabella Story on May 22, 1801.
--source the Jack Pringle Collection Box 2 at the London Society of Genealogists.
  I can send you my Pringle file as a regular e-mail. My e-mail address is (*)
Contact me there.
--George

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 November 10 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Dear Matt,

Not discovered where the BLACK name comes into the Berry tree but HAMILTON comes in as a christian name.

David Hamilton CRAWFORD of Crohan, Co Cavan land agent, ( Born 1844, Co Cavan 1911 census, 67 yrs), who married JANE BERRY ( born 1861 54/ 1911 census), daughter of JAMES BERRY of Sanderville and his second wife ? First wife Margaret Magee.

1901 census; HOUSE 3 Croghan or Coolnashinny, Killeshandra.
David 57, wife Jane 40.
Daughters;Elizabeth Hamilton CRAWFORD 11yrs, Sarah Elliott Crawford, 10 yrs.
Visitor; Elizabeth BERRY 50yrs, single.

George CRAWFORD of Arba, Co Cavan, was the first husband of Mary Ann BERRY( parents James Henry BERRY & Ann Ferguson).

God bless,
Sue.

Hi there

Apols if this is completely the wrong person but hey- worth a try.

My wife's surname is BLACK, and her ancestor Randal John Hamilton Black married Mary Ann Berry in Cavan, 1869.

Wonder if we've the same Mary Ann Berry or whether it's not; you may be able to place 'my' Mary with 'yours'.

Incidentally, following Mary and Randal's marriage, the name Berry remained as a middle name in both the American/Canadian and Irish branches of the Black family.

All the best

Matt

STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/
HUGGINS Rob & Em DAVIS/Bleakley Berry HUGGINS & Ann PRINGLE Eng/ Ire/ Aus
Will WILLIAMS & Charl STONE I.O.W.
MATHEWS Thos A & Mary DEVINE Louth Ire/Aus.
BELL Jas Ed & Jane KEARNES Braidwood/ Wagga Wagga
RITCHIE Will & Chris Gowans BOYD/GOWANS/ALLAN/CASKIE SCOT

Offline flennerz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 November 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Interesting! Not sure if it ties in but will definitely check if it's the same lot of Hamiltons.

Incidentally, my wife visited her grandmother recently and was given a briefcase full of family stuff to look over; her dad'll take it back soon but in the meantime I've scanned in lots of pics of various people, including Mary Ann Berry. As soon as I can get a chance to upload them I will do, and will send you a copy of her picture.

I have details - sadly not on this PC, as I'm currently surfing the net on a ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare - of exactly who Mary Ann was, and details of her grandparents, including a photograph of their headstone in Croghan.

All exciting stuff - we look to be getting closer to working out exactly which one she is!

I promise to send on asap but what with my own wife expecting a baby in Jan I know time is getting a bit hard to come by!

Hope you're well, Matt
Flenley, Black, Gieschler, Blathwayt, Flannery, Flannelly

Offline flennerz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 November 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Have just remembered that the tree in Ancestry has most of the details for how 'my' Mary Ann fits in. Her grandparents were Margaretta and James, so there's a generation in between.

She died in 1877 in childbirth, bearing her son Randal, my wife's great-grandfather. When she died, her children were split up; the two youngest (Herbert and Randal) remaining on the farm in Gartbratten to be raised by their aunts, and the three eldest (James, John and Eliza) sent off to live with her parents - Berrys in Croghan. James and John then departed for the US/Canada in approx.1880 and I've tracked down a few of James' descendants, and possibly some of John's. John Black is, unfortunately, a rather common name to be searching!! Eliza ended up marrying an Irishman, a Glanville, and upon his untimely death departed for Australia & NZ, remarried, and where her family lives to this day.

Matt

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 April 12 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am descendant of Eliza Magee, Margaret Magee's sister (who married James Berry). I have names of their children, if you would like them. If you already know their children, I am curious to know if you have information about them?

Jenni

Offline flennerz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 April 12 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi! So do I take it that Margaret Magee is the Margaretta who married James Berry?

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 April 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

No, its the Margaret Magee (born 1835) noted in the opening posting to this topic (i have since posting my question, found a lot more regards their children and can share if anyone wants to add this to their tree):

JAMES( above ) had a brother ALEXANDER BERRY and their parents were JAMES BERRY, ( parents Thomas Berry ( d. 1835) and Mary PRINGLE( daught of JOHN pringle), 6 children ? Rockfield, Co Cavan), Military, resides Berrymount, Liet. Killeshandra Infantry May 1805. Married first MARY ANNE FARIS, 2nd. marr. ANNE LEVINGE MOORE. Mother of Alexander and James Berry.

2nd marriage, 24 April 1848. SARAH ELLIOTT.

Children of Ann Ferguson;
1/ JAMES BERRY, died Sandford, resides Sandville, 64 acres Co Cavan, 184 Co Longford. Married Killeshandra, MARGARET, youngest daughter of Charles MAGEE of Tully. They separated.

Offline wjeffcock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 August 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
Dear All Berry Descendants,

I have one for you all. I have a relative called Harriet Berry who ran away from Ireland with one of the Estates gardener's called R Rock (I think the R stood for Richard as one of is sons was called Richard).

They moved to Albany in New York and had at least three children called Richard, Harriet and Mary Ann. Mary Ann was born in 1815 and died 22nd Sep 1904 at Westgate in Margate, UK.

So I guess their mother was born around 1785 to 1795, which would make her father Thomas Berry And Mary (nee Pringle). Of course in those days if she had eloped with the gardener I am sure the family did their best to cover up that they ever had a daughter called Harriet!!

So if anyone can find anything on Harriet Berry I would be most impressed and Happy!

Best wishes,

William
Parkyn, High Hazels, Ecclesfield, Darley,Worsboroughdale, Mortomley Hall, Cowley Manor, Jeffcock

Offline Pringle1820

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 October 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching the Pringle family of Killigriff/Tierworker on the Meath/Cavan border and I think that they are related to the Caledon Pringles. I have gone back to around 1820, which I think is when they moved to Killigriff, on the Tithe Applotment Books they are listed as George Pringle and brothers, representing William Pringle. I have more info on their descendants but near nothing on them or where they came from. Could you tell me more about this Mary Pringle please?
Also John Hamilton moved to Caledon area in the 1600-1700s and some of the people he brought over named children in his honour, I just saw someone in the comments had that as a middle name, hope it helps!