Author Topic: Richard HOWLING and Sarah EMMERSON  (Read 18725 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard HOWLING and Sarah EMMERSON
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 October 10 01:47 BST (UK) »

Cando,

Good morning from sunny Brisbane.

There must have been two or more Richard Howling.

Richard Howling died in 1872 at Ballarat.

Richard Howling deceased estate in the Argus 1881 with his widow Sarah.

Richaed Howling a farmer of Ballarat notification of a patent in the Argus 1882.

Gerry

There is only one death on the indexes for a Richard HOWLING to 1888 and that is in 1872. 

The advertisment it does not mention Richard HOWLING's date of death.  He died intestate.  This link will be helpful - Death Date 14 Apr 1872  - Grant Date  29 Mar 1881
http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/indexes/index_search_details.asp?searchid=54&id=17582

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 October 10 01:53 BST (UK) »
I found a reference to a  HOWLING departing Sydney for Melbourne on the JAMES GIBSON in Feb 1852 but cannot locate the ship's arrival in Melbourne.  The ship may been a coastal trader.  I spent quite some time searching the SHIPPING ARRIVALS in the Argus newspaper.

There is also an advertisement in the MISSING FRIENDS column of the Argus
HOWLING Richard   4 Dec 1854.   

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4801245?searchTerm=HOWLING

If this should meet the eye of Richard Howling of Polar, he will hear something his advantage by writing to William Spinkle, on board the ship Blackwell.

Cheers
Cando

This is him for sure!  It is mistranscribed as "Polar" - it was actually "Poplar", which is in the East End of London - this where the Howlings came from.

This is fantastic news because it means that he came out to Oz a lot earlier than Sarah and the children.  In the 1851 census he is in Poplar - and three years later he is in VIC!

Thank you so much for your efforts Cando.

Angela

Whoops left the P out of Poplar....I also had an ancestor from Poplar. Must improve my proof reading :-[

I think he was in Vic in Feb 1852.  Most HOWLING references I have found appear to be your ancestors.  Just need to search a little more for the elusive departure from Sydney and arrival in Melbourne for the JAMES GIBSON.  During the gold rush period many people travelled on cargo ships and were listed simply as X male and X female passengers.  Not all shipping records survive.

Cando

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 October 10 01:54 BST (UK) »
Cando,
Thanks, yes I thought that the 1872 death and 1881 notice were both related to the same Richard.

Gerry

Offline abysouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 October 10 02:04 BST (UK) »
I found a reference to a  HOWLING departing Sydney for Melbourne on the JAMES GIBSON in Feb 1852 but cannot locate the ship's arrival in Melbourne.  The ship may been a coastal trader.  I spent quite some time searching the SHIPPING ARRIVALS in the Argus newspaper.

There is also an advertisement in the MISSING FRIENDS column of the Argus
HOWLING Richard   4 Dec 1854.   

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4801245?searchTerm=HOWLING

If this should meet the eye of Richard Howling of Polar, he will hear something his advantage by writing to William Spinkle, on board the ship Blackwell.

Cheers
Cando

This is him for sure!  It is mistranscribed as "Polar" - it was actually "Poplar", which is in the East End of London - this where the Howlings came from.

This is fantastic news because it means that he came out to Oz a lot earlier than Sarah and the children.  In the 1851 census he is in Poplar - and three years later he is in VIC!

Thank you so much for your efforts Cando.

Angela

Whoops left the P out of Poplar....I also had an ancestor from Poplar. Must improve my proof reading :-[

I think he was in Vic in Feb 1852.  Most HOWLING references I have found appear to be your ancestors.  Just need to search a little more for the elusive departure from Sydney and arrival in Melbourne for the JAMES GIBSON.  During the gold rush period many people travelled on cargo ships and were listed simply as X male and X female passengers.  Not all shipping records survive.

Cando

I am deeply indebted to you for what seems to be effortless for you - but I am still struggling.

It would appear that Sarah and the children were in UK for many years before joining Richard.  I suppose she must have somehow missed being recorded in the 1861 census.  I wish I could find some record of Richard's leaving UK - but I can't. 

But at least I have found them!!  My father's mother was a Howling and her father, John Francis Higgins Howling was a builder/decorator/plumber - it was definitely in the blood! 

Thanks again

Angela

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 October 10 02:20 BST (UK) »
Cando,
Thanks, yes I thought that the 1872 death and 1881 notice were both related to the same Richard.

Gerry

That's OK.   There is a son Richard as well.

Baptised at Islington, St Mary on 13 Sep 1835.
Richard Matthew HOWLING son of Richard and Sarah HOWLING of Regent Street, ?Pentenville.  Richard's occupation listed as a paper hanger. 

Marriage
HOWLING Richard Matthew
CLARK Janet
1862  reg#4429

There is this death in Qld
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m
1895/B27887
HOWLING Richard Matthew
Death Date 16 Jul 1895
Father's Name    Richard Howling  Mother's Name Sarah Hunt  [is this an error as I have found the Richard HOWLING/Sarah EMMERSON banns and marriage including the Pallots Index.  There is no HOWLING/HUNT marriage]

Oh I don't like day light saving....lunchtime and I'm not even hungry :) :) :P

Cheers
Cando

Offline abysouth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 October 10 03:29 BST (UK) »
This is all so fascinating - and puzzling.  Yes, there was a son Richard, who is present on 1841 census - but by the 1851, by which time he would have been 16, is missing.  The lcosest I can come ot a possible match is a Richard Holding, being a visitor to a Boat Captain, in Lancashire.  Possible but not at all likely.

Before I discovered the Australian connection, I had just assumed he had died as a child - but I could not trace anything on BMD.  Now it appears he did come here to Oz - but when??  One would have to suppose with Richard senior, on the untraceable voyage.

Furthermore, both my great great grandfather, William aged 10, and his elder sister Catherine (c 1837) appear to be living separately from the family - but with each other.  And no sign of Richard junior, as stated.

And none of them, at all, are found in the 1861 census.  Then William turns up again back in London - if he ever left it.

Sigh

Angela

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 October 10 05:00 BST (UK) »

This is all so fascinating - and puzzling.  Yes, there was a son Richard, who is present on 1841 census - but by the 1851, by which time he would have been 16, is missing.  The lcosest I can come ot a possible match is a Richard Holding, being a visitor to a Boat Captain, in Lancashire.  Possible but not at all likely.

A possible connection   :-\

There is a Captain J HOWLING who was Master of the ship Beaufort which arrived into Victoria March 1875.

Could he be a family member & possibly he was the master of other ships that sailed here that the family have travelled on in earlier times  ???

Can anyone else see this Capt J Howling on other voyages to AUS ?

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 October 10 05:11 BST (UK) »

That's OK.   There is a son Richard as well.

Marriage
HOWLING Richard Matthew
CLARK Janet
1862  reg#4429

There is this death in Qld
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m
1895/B27887
HOWLING Richard Matthew
Death Date 16 Jul 1895
Father's Name    Richard Howling  Mother's Name Sarah Hunt  [is this an error as I have found the Richard HOWLING/Sarah EMMERSON banns and marriage including the Pallots Index.  There is no HOWLING/HUNT marriage]

Richard Matthew HOWLING's wife Janet died in Vic:

HOWLING Janet age 41yrs d. 1883 NAPOLEONS #2682
Father: John Clarke
Mother: Ross ELLEN

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 October 10 05:50 BST (UK) »
Merlin have been advised that Angela has the Vic bdm's. ;D

Would be lovely to find passenger records ;D

Cando