Author Topic: Ferdinand Murphy and family - Carranrow/Craanrue, Ballycarney, Co. Wexford  (Read 8646 times)

Offline caroline_wex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ferdinand Murphy and family - Carranrow/Craanrue, Ballycarney, Co. Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 October 10 17:43 BST (UK) »
Brilliant to hear from ye all and thanks a million for the links. I'd found the section a while ago on John Byrne and wished they had more about William Murphy in it! The photo is a lovely one, especially as the people involved were such lovely people...

Tomahurra, if you're related, please send me a message with your email address and I'll happily share what I have! Pat - just emailed you now as well.

All the best,
Caroline
O'Neills - Tomatee, Co. Wexford
Kehoes - Rossard and Clonjordan, Co. Wexford
Murphys - Carranroe/Craanrue, Co. Wexford
Breens - Mangan, Killann, Co. Wexford
Byrnes - Bagnalstown and Dunroe, Co. Carlow
O'Gormans - Ballybawn and Killegney, Co. Wexford
O'Keefes - Knockadean, Co. Kilkenny and Ballywilliam, Co. Wexford
Somers - Ballywilliam, Co. Wexford

Offline benji12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have been working through some information re my family tree left to me by my mother.
It seems I am an Australian descendant of Ferdinand Murphy (named in the information left to me by my mother and my grandmother). I am excited to have come across the information in the thread!

My grandmother was Margaret Salt (nee Nugent) and her mother had been Margaret Nugent (nee Murphy) b. Sept. 14th 1876 in County Wexford  d. 17-8-1968 Victoria, Australia (RootsChat entry from caroline_wex gives Margaret's birth date as 15/09/1875 so I need to check this - my source is typed and handwritten family info from my mother who is no longer alive and my grandmother's birth certificate, which I do have, has Margaret Murphy as 28 in August 1905)

Margaret married William Nugent (1898 at Roman Catholic Church of Marshalltown in the Registrar's District of Enniscorthy, Co Wexford)) and they emigrated to Australia, arriving in Melbourne 1898 on a ship called the Paoline (I think, but the handwriting is not easy to read). They lived in Bairnsdale in Victoria. They had 9 girls!!! (no boys) and they had a farm!!  You might think this would lead to many descendants in Australia but in fact between them all these girls only produced 9 children so my elderly aunt was recently told me.  As my mother's sister she is a direct descendant.

The information I have tells me that Margaret Murphy's parents were "Ferdinand Murphy Craanrue Castledockrell Co Wexford Ireland and Mary Sinnott  Clone Co Wexford Ireland".
I have also been give a list of the names of brothers and sisters and whom they married.

Offline caroline_wex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
We are definitely related. Weirdly enough I was just thinking about Mrs Nugent who went to Australia after talking to another relative the other day. I was going to see if I could find any descendants over there who might be able to help with more info on the family! :o)

I'm going to send you an email through this site now and a link to what I have so far on ancestry.co.uk! Be more than delighted to share what I have here (including birth, marriage and death certs... and a couple of photos of the Murphy family)... so be talking to you soon!!!

Caroline

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
New members usually need 3 posts to use PM (personal message) system.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline benji12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello to newly discovered relatives. Great to get a reply and so quickly!
As a newcomer to this site I will need to learn how to use it.
Is the messgae from : aghadowey "New members usually need 3 posts to use PM (personal message) system." saying that the email being sent by cal will not be able to be accessed by me until I have 3 postings? I will get back on this site again about the same time tomorrow (probably a bit earlier - that will be 3 times then - so am I then OK for PM ?? Will review the info I do have to add anything I can that may be of interest.
Cheers for now, Benji12

Offline john whelan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 February 12 19:52 GMT (UK) »
My name is John Whelan formerly of Enniscorthy.  Elizabeth Ralph was my grand mother, she died in1957, I believe. If you can give me an address I shall send you a list of her children names and whom they married , and most of her grand children names and addresses. Looking forward to hearing from you, I have often wondered about where she came from, any information about her and her family i shall put in my own family history. I do know that she married a second time to a Mr Tom Walsh, he died in the early 1950s.

Offline caroline_wex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello John!
Lovely to hear from you.

I've since pretty much finished up the family tree - thank GOD! - and sent out everything on disc to members of the family... including one of your cousins, Lily! More than happy to share any information on your granny, Elizabeth, and any of her Murphy siblings. We have photos of many of them and there's a real resemblance between them! If you are on familysearch.co.uk, I could send you an invite and you can add bits from there onto your own tree from there. Could you send me your email by messaging me through my profile here, please?! Thanks!

Look forward to hearing from you.
Caroline

Offline KeithWex

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi i'm a descendant of the same family of Nugents, Williams sister is my connection,
Some descendants of the family  "William and Margaret" returned to Bunclody / Casterdockrell back in the cira 1970's to visit their ancestors i was told by a relative, Nancy was the lady that was named. i was aware that they had 9 daughters in the family.
The last named Ferdy Murphy was married to a Whelan, they had no family and the present owner Michael Whelan is a nephew of Mrs. Whelan, thats the connection.