Author Topic: Church look-up Wilson  (Read 10434 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Church look-up Wilson
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have removed completed from the title,seems pretty active to me. Just reply to moderator when completed.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
Please don't forget that the information on the IGI at FamilySearch is not a primary source. It is an index, and a very useful one at that, but it does contain information submitted or contributed by all sorts of people, and not all of it is accurate.

So (a) you should always plan to follow up anything on FamilySearch by looking at the original documents and (b) if FamilySearch says one thing and the original document says something else, I know which one I would trust.

Original documents are on Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. There is no substitute for this in the case of post-1855 births, marriages and deaths, but earlier documents, and the census from 1841 to 1901, can be accessed in the form of microfilm in local libraries in Scotland and at LDS Church Family History Centres worldwide.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 June 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
Just by chance I was at Jinkabout last week, there was a family of Meek's in the mill in 1798, who emigrated to Quebec, I believe the proprietor then was the Duke of Hamilton. Of the mill itself I could find nothing, it was on a loop of the Avon near the Roman Wall, it's now an industrial estate adjoining the Grangemouth oil refinery, even the mill lade has vanished and an oil pipeline runs through the site. A couple of locals I asked had never even heard of the name. Also the remains of an old tower called Inveravon which I never attempted.

Curiously there was a Jinkabout Mill on the Water of Leith, too much of a coincidence?

Skoosh.

Offline Delta Foxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 June 13 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,
      Checking up on the Jinkabout Mill at Inveravon by Polmont, I found this piece of info in the The Edinburgh Gazette December 23,1921 page 2227,left hand col.3rd bit down.It's Bout the estate of William Wilson from that area in the early 1920's.
    cheers D.F.

Offline Delta Foxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 June 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,
    I just found out that the Jinkabout Mill at The Water of Leith was a paper mill when the one at Polmont was a corn mill,thought you might want to know that.
 cheers  D.F.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 June 13 15:54 BST (UK) »
 I think it was a corn mill turned paper mill DF.

Skoosh.

Offline Delta Foxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 16 June 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,
      You could be right,any way Grangemouth Heritage Trust have pictures of Jinkabout Mill if you are interested.
                cheers D.F.