Author Topic: Birth reg in 1839  (Read 2928 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Birth reg in 1839
« on: Monday 04 October 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I have a baptism in 1839 but cannot see a birth registration for this girl, or death of her mother

24 November, 1839.  Parish of St Anne Westminster
Mary Jane Midlam or MIDLANE born 1?November
Parents: John and Ann, King St Long Acre, Licenced Victualler

I cannot see her in 1841 either.  She is later known as Ann or Annie and the surname is often shown as MIDLAM or MIDLANE.

In 1851 she is at the Licenced Victuallers' School in Kennington which implies that her parents are dead or unable to care for her. Her father is in Andover in 1841 and I cannot find her mother Ann (nee CARD) in any later census.  John and Ann were married in Gillingham, Dorset in 1837; his parish of residence given at that time as 'St Martin in the Fields.

I have plenty of info for her after 1851.

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth reg in 1839
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure which of the two sisters you are interested in. Both seem to be at the Licensed Victualler's School on the 1851 census.

1851 HO107 1573 folio 157
Licensed Victuallers School Kennington Lane Lambeth Surrey
Ann Midlam 13 London, Middlesex
another child
Jane Midlam 11 London, Middlesex

ANNE HERRIDGE GEORGIANA MIDLAM
Birth:  19 FEB 1838   
Christening:  11 MAR 1838   Saint Anne Soho, Westminster, London
Father:  JOHN MIDLAM 
Mother:  ANN 
Greek Street
Father's occupation warehouseman

Births Mar 1838 
MIDLAM  Ann Herridge Georgiana    Strand  1 252

MARY JANE MIDLAM
Birth:  01 NOV 1839   
Christening:  24 NOV 1839   Saint Anne Soho, Westminster, London
Father:  JOHN MIDLAM   
Mother:  ANN
King Street
Father's occupation licensed victualler

On 26th May 1866 Mary Jane Midlam married Charles Mattby at St Thomas Portman Square Marylebone. Her father was John a deceased publican and one of the witnesses was Anne H Midlam.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Valda - that is the third (or fourth time) you have helped me out recently and I do appreciate it very much.  I found some newspaper articles which show that children had to be voted in to gain a place at the L V School.  Ann was elected in 1849 and Mary Jane a year later. 

However I am even more confused now!

This is the info I have and I would love to have your (or anyone else's) ideas as to whether I can link these MIDLAM girls with my family of MIDLANEs who are very often listed as MIDLAM.  The image of the baptism for Mary Jane seems to me to show that the surname may also be read as MIDLANE.

Fact:  Annie MIDLANE married in Mere, Wilts, 1867; father John MIDLANE, Yeoman - he does not sign as a witness (from Mere parish record transcripts).  On later censuses this Annie CHILD (nee Midlane) consistently gives her birthplace as Middlesex and records ages which give a birth year of abt 1838.

Fact: 1861 census shows Annie MIDLAM 23 (b Middlesex), drapers assistant, living with a CARD family in Mere.  Given that the man she marries is a draper, and the only other Ann/Annie I can find is in Hampshire,  I think this is most probably the same girl who marries in 1867.

Fact:  IGI and the Dorset OPC show this marriage at Gillingham:
16-May, 1837 John MIDLAM of St.Martin in the Fields. Middx & Ann CARD otp; Licence; consent of all

The name "Herridge" is used for what appears to be siblings of an Anna Maria CARD baptised Gillingham 25 05 1813  daughter of Thomas & Ann; Malster.  Thus I assume that this is the baptism for Ann and thus that John and Ann MIDLAM are parents of Ann and Mary Jane born Londonin 1838 and 1839. 
Are these the parents of the Annie MIDLAM in Mere 1861 who is living with a CARD family (head of household listed a b Gillingham   ??? (I note Mary J MIDLAM, visitor, at St Martin-in-the Fields 1861.  I assume this is the other child you found for me)

Fact:
1841 High St Andover with John Poore, wine merchant
John MIDLANE assistant (indexed as Midlam but image definitely shows Midlane; John Poore is married to John Midlane's sister)

1851, Mere, with John Phillips, farmer
John Midlane 46, visitor, unmarried, no occupation shown, b W Camel

1861 Lyndhurst Rd, Hounsdown, Eling, Hampshire
John MIDLANE, 56, farmer 160 acres employing 6 men, b West Camel

This John MIDLANE dies in 1869 at his farm - full name: John Sone MIDLANE

Marriage for John Sone MIDLANE:
John Sone MIDLANE and Jane Thompson, registered at Andover, Jun qr,1857 in Penton Mewsey Hants (from Free BMD and newspaper reports)

However:
Mary Jane says her father is deceased at her marriage 1866 and lists him as licenced victualler.

Annie MIDLAM does not appear to use the names "Herridge" or "Georgiana" from 1861 on and these names do not appear in the MIDLANE family at all (Herridge is in the CARD family), but the Ann who signs at Mary Jane's wedding signs Anne H.

IF the John MIDLANE marrying in 1857 was the same John married to Ann CARD what happened to Ann??  Did John shoot through and leave the girls - seems to have been some connection with the CARD family through Ann(ie) but can't find a connection for Mary Jane at all.  The girls being admitted to the LV School would seem to imply that their parent/s were unable to care for them.

If you are still reading this then many thanks.  ::)

I would like to find a death for Ann MIDLAM the mother of these girls.  The usage of MIDLAM/MIDLANE is a pain!  Even John Sone MIDLANE's newspaper death notice has him as MIDLAM, although the FreeBMD image shows clearly MIDLANE.

I wonder if the LV School records are still around. (I believe the Guildhall library has some but not the right dates for these girls.

Any info gratefully received.  Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Though it would appear Mary Jane's birth was not registered there is a birth registration for Ann Herridge Georgiana which would confirm her mother's maiden name.

Neither the LVS Ascot website or the Licensed Trade Charity website seems helpful when it comes to trying to establish where any surviving historical records may be held. You could try contacting the Old Elvians Association and see if they know.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09yg/

John Sone Midlane left a will, proved at the Principal Registry - executrix his wife Jane. His marriage in 1857 would confirm whether he was a widower.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/civil/probate/index.htm

Prerogative Court will of John Midlane of Mere

Will of John Midlane, Gentleman of Mere , Wiltshire 23 March 1842 PROB 11/1959

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/power-search.asp?searchType=powersearch

Deaths Mar 1841 
MIDLAN[DE]  John    Mere  8 293

Deaths Mar 1853   
Midlane  Jane     Mere  5a 216   

1841 census HO107 1183/5 folio 10
Wet Lane Mere Wiltshire
Jane Midlane 70 Ind not born in County (born Portsea Hants on the 1851 census)
Hanna Toogood 40 F.S. born in county
Fanny Horroll 20 F.S. Born in county

On the 1851 census Jane, a widow, was a Proprietor of House and Land and the mother-in-law of Matthias Newman, a general practioner whose wife Mary Jane aged 44 had been born in West Camel Somerset.

Jane left a will proved locally and held at Wiltshire record office.

P5/1854/1 Affidavit, deposition, oath, will, wrapper

http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/heritage/

These three wills may be informative and help further in establishing connections if you have not already obtained copies of them.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 10 03:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, Valda.

I had forgotten that the marriage was after civil registration.  ::)  I have the wills for the earlier John and Jane MIDLANE died in Mere - a bit confusing as both couples were John MIDLANE married to a Jane THOMPSON.  The older Jane was an aunt of the younger Jane so John Sone MIDLANE married his cousin. 

A couple of good ideas to try though - thanks.

Judith