Author Topic: The Radio Ham  (Read 11176 times)

Offline David Bx

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Radio Ham
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 October 22 17:22 BST (UK) »
Visiting Colwyn Bay for over 70 years I still retain friends there from the 1950/60's. This last two weeks we have been comparing notes about the radio 'shack' in the top orchard at Pen-y-Groesffordd
Riding Stables which was owned by Mr and Mrs Eddie Thomas. Her brother, Norman ,was a renowned sheep dog breeder and trainer and lived at the bottom of Groes Road directly opposite the main gates to Eirias Park. According to my friends the radio equipment was owned by Norman rather than Eddie or his sons Glyn and Ken, but we are uncertain whether he was a coast watcher or just an enthusiastic radio ham. This information seems to tie in with the notes following but I am not certain it helps the enquiry.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Radio Ham
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 October 22 16:05 BST (UK) »
Norman's RAF forms are now on FindMyPast. Enlisted/called up to RAF 20 6 1918 as a Motor Mechanic. His RAF number being 199419.DoB = 21 6 1900. NoK = his mother, Mary Thomas of Pen y Groesffordd, Colwyn Bay.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FAIR79%2F1811%2F00039&parentid=GBM%2FAIR79%2F95358

I don't if I have missed something but the events referred to in the opening post was a submarine in WW2 whilst the events later described in the thread referred to a submarine in WW1.