Author Topic: Help Needed - IRONS in Middlesex  (Read 3159 times)

Offline voltarei

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed - IRONS in Middlesex
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,
Another twist in this story.
I have received the birth certificate of Annie Matthews Irons today, who is clearly listed on the census returns living with the family in Pentonville, headed up by Emma Matthews/Irons.

It states that her mothers name is Emma Irons, formerly Bell, and has no mention of her mother being called Matthews.

Any thoughts to help me get to the bottom of this would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Phil

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
Who was the informant on the certificate?

There is a James Matthews m. Emma Bell 2 Feb 1841 in St. Pancras.  I think by 1861 James has passed away but Emma Matthews, 45, b. St. Georges is living with children including Emma, 17, artificial flower maker, still in St. Pancras.

She is living in the area until at least 1881, and one of her children, John, is the right age to be the John Matthews living with Emma Irons  in 1881 also.

I'm guessing that either Emma Jr at times had used her mother's maiden surname, "Bell", or that the information got mixed up and her mother's maiden name ended up on the certificate instead of her own.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline voltarei

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,
The dates you have quoted do not seem to fit in some instances, but do in others.
The census for 1861 with Emma Matthews aged 17 as an artificial flower maker is spot on, as this was Emma's occupation on all subsequent census returns.
It is this younger Emma that I am therefore interested in, and if she was single in 1861 aged 17, then her maiden name must be Matthews.
4 years later her first son William Herbert Irons Matthews was born.

I don't understand why Bell is mentioned on the birth certificate - it's all very strange.
The informant is Emma herself, and the address is 33 Collier Street which is exactly where Emma and kids are living in 1881.

Phil

Offline voltarei

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,
Sorry - just realised I misread what you were trying to say.

Yes it would make sense that Emma jr somehow used her mothers maiden name of Bell on the birth certificate.
This adds fuel to my theory that rather than being secretive, they were just plain daft !!!

Phil