Author Topic: majm's Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 23648 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: majm's Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:11 BST (UK) »

have you found Harriett on the 1841 census or JOhn or Harriett senior?

From Reply #1

e)   1841 HO 107 680 15 St Marylebone Workhouse and Infirmary (which would account for her learning to read and write) Harriet KING aged 7 (c 1833-34 as census taken June 6, my speculation that perhaps the enumerator consulted their admissions papers so that Harriet was admitted at around age 7 ie admitted late 1839 early 1840 )

There's almost as many KING as there's SMITH .... but I can find a Mrs Harriet KING death in Feb 1833 and a John KING death in Dec 1841... both in London ... 

1841 census are you certain that that is her ?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
eeek 242 John Kings died in London area between 1831 (when Harriett would have been conceived)  & 1851 (when Hariett would have been in Aus. and she said her parents were dead) and thats the only online ones

jus a thought, just becuase she said her parents were deceased doesnt mean they were !

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Bull Lane Stepney
Harriot King 50
Elizth King 16
Thos King 13
Fredk King 13
Harriot King 10
 All BIC
HO107; 714 5; 19;  30;

added
i cant quite make out occupations Bracemaker i think it says for Harriot senior but they are next door to a Pawnbrokers

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
Bull Lane Stepney
Harriot King 50
Elizth King 16
Thos King 13
Fredk King 13
Harriot King 10
 All BIC
HO107; 714 5; 19;  30;

added
i cant quite make out occupations Bracemaker i think it says for Harriot senior but they are next door to a Pawnbrokers

oh blow found the bp. of the 2 boys Thomas and Frederick 20 April 1828 s/o Harriett & William a cabinet maker from Union Street Hyton at St Leonard Shoreditch

note for Jaywit she she gets here  ;D GIC gave his address as Irwin Street when he married in 1851 could it be Urwin / union Street ?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

No, the earliest event I am certain of is that she arrived in NSW in June 1849 via an Immigration Plan.  As I understand it, agents in England were meant to inspect the assisted passengers .... but to what level of checking their backgrounds ...  well  ::)  ::)  ::)

and yep, I can certainly agree there's been many instances where the records on incoming passenger lists indicate parents "both dead" and its later found/suspected that they were alive...  I can well understand how a lass aged 16 and perhaps long time resident of London had left home and found work and basically lost touch with (or chose not to keep in contact with) her parents even if they were still alive.  

Yes, with  242 online deaths for John KING  you can see my brickwall looming and looming  ;D  ;D...  

I'm still going through 407 hits for 1841 PO directory for London  ;)  ;)  

red post BRACEMAKER ... Harriet in NSW * edit to add 1880s operated a confectionery shop and may have had a pawnbroking facility too.  Most women were fine needleworkers, I presume Bracemakers made the thingys to hold up mens trousers  ;)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:43 BST (UK) »

if she was a general servant then supposedly she would have had employment to go to in Aus.?
 ???
Brace maker I would assume was not the dentifrice but the straps in tailoring possibly leather also.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
Employment in NSW !  Yes, Belfast Wine Vaults in Botany Street Chippendale (inner Sydney suburb), the licencee and his wife were witnesses at her 1853 marriage.

I'm up to page 125 of the hits for "pawnbroker" in the 1841 Post Office Directory for London and finally found one with surname KING but different first name ...
Wm KING pawnbroker and silversmith at 34 High Holburn noting also at same address was Joseph Wm ARNOLD, ham and beef shop...  interesting combination for the one address ... hope the fumes from the silversmithy didn't taint the beef  ;D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
I am not disputing Harrietts age on immigration however to get an idea if she was telling the truth you would need to work out how old she as when she died ? although thus is what the informant believed her to be
Then again how old was she when she stopped having children do you think this was due to the menopause or due to her husband dying?
What about when she started having children? Menstruation began later those days although not impossible to start at 12 I think it was generally 14 -16
How old did she say she was when she married? Although this is easy to lie about

I have no knowledge of assisted passengers apart from the unassisted ones paid their own farer.

If she was assisted was it encouraged to have British woman in the colonies to breed with the convicts and the natives I know in India it was encouraged to try to prevent an Indian uprising

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
Employment in NSW !  Yes, Belfast Wine Vaults in Botany Street Chippendale (inner Sydney suburb), the licencee and his wife were witnesses at her 1853 marriage.

Red notice -  Employment in NSW – did they pay for her travel to Aus. ? what I meant as she went out as a servant was it assumed she would have employment on reaching Australia? Like these days if I wanted to emigrate I would need to have a job to go to or be able to pay my own way.