Author Topic: Fawcett's in Durham County...  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Addman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fawcett's in Durham County...
« on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
Am looking into my family's history and having trouble finding information for the Darlington, Durham area of England from Australia.

My great great great grandfather Joseph (also known as Joshua) Fawcett sent to Sydney, NSW, Australia after being convicted of house-breaking on the 'John' in 1836. We know quite a bit about his life but lacking details on his parents and their families in the UK at the time.

Based on the records from Australia, Joseph/Joshua was born ~1817, son of Robert Fawcett and Mary or Hannah Fawcett (nee Pattison - confusion over mothers name).  Am hoping to track down information about Robert Fawcett and his family.

Would like to hear from anyone with any information about Fawcett's from Durham County.

Thanks Addman...

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fawcett's in Durham County...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
If you don't already have this, a Robert Fawcett married a Hannah Pattison in Darlington 16th May 1815, County Durham Marriage Index.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Possible siblings for Joshau (parents Robert & Hannah) all baptised at St Cuthberts Darlington, Durham

Thomas 1817
Robert 1821 died 1822

Possible death for Robert senior 12/12/1858 (born 1784).

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 12 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Addman, I think we are already in communication.  The information in these posts matches up with what I have found as well, with the addition of another sibling, also named Robert, following the death of the first Robert.  I also believe Hannah died about 1824 and Robert remarried Ann Bird a couple of years later and had a further family.  All conjecture and nothing certain.  In the meantime his two eldest boys, Joshua and Thomas, get into trouble and are transported.  I can find Robert and Ann (I think!) in the 1841 census at Easingwold but nowhere to be found in 1851.  There are multiple Robert Fawcetts which makes it difficult to be absolutely sure.  Jennifer

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 May 13 07:02 BST (UK) »
I'm just refreshing this thread.  I'm still on the trail of this family but haven't been actively researching it lately - diverted by other family tree branches.  Addman, if you are the contact I am thinking you are and we have already exchanged lots of emails - including one about the possibility of re-erecting Joseph's headstone at Rookwood Cemetery, could you please let me know?  If you are someone else, please also get in touch - there is much to share.  Jennifer
Joshua/Joseph was my great, great grandfather.  Regards, Jennifer