Author Topic: Alfred Johnson Staffordshire did he emmigrate??  (Read 1238 times)

Offline NEL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alfred Johnson Staffordshire did he emmigrate??
« on: Thursday 07 April 05 23:56 BST (UK) »
Working on thin air here. My Grandfather was John Smith, born 1910 in Butt lane Staffordshire England. His father, rumour has it left for Australia and didn't marry his Mum. Don't want to cause any problems but... a young man left for Australia after 1910 he would have been in his twenties, assuming he was a similar age to my Ggrandmother (born 1886) Eliza Smith. She also was from Butt lane/ Kidsgrove. This is about all I have to go on. I got a clue tonight and chased it and came up with Alfred Johnson. Sorry if I may be causing offence to anyone but I could be way off track! any help out there Nel
Smith, Archer, Hilditch, Boulton, Boote, Wootton, Staffordshire and Cheshire

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Johnson Staffordshire did he emmigrate??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 05 09:39 BST (UK) »
These 3 come up on the unassisted Vic list

Family Name First Name Age Month Year Ship Port Fiche Page
JOHNSON ALFRED 18 DEC 1912 ORAMA B 860 002
JOHNSON ALFRED 39 JUN 1911 ORSOVA B 825 009
JOHNSON ALFRED 28 NOV 1909 OTRANTO B 793 016

On the national archives (www.naa.gov.au) there are 90 hits for Alfred Johnson 1914-1918. Given his age he may have joined up. 14 records match with the word England
and of these only 1 has Staffordshire viz

Johnson William Alfred : SERN DEPOT 55500 : POB Staffordshire England : POE Melbourne VIC : NOK B Johnson Henry

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NEL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 06 00:57 BST (UK) »
Trish sorry it's taken so long to reply. I know this is very tricky.

My Grandfather John Smith B.1910 Butt lane Staffordshire England, rumour has it that his Dad emigrated to Australia. According to family rumours he lived in the same street as my GGrandmother, (Eliza Smith b 1886) Church Street Butt Lane.

I have looked for my Grandparents marriage and there are two entries one states John Smith married Eva Hilditch and the other that Eva married John Johnson!!

So putting two and two together and guessing five ..was my Grandfathers dad called Johnson. There were three sons Alfred 1885, George 1887, and Walter 1891 who were a similar age to Eliza, living in the same street in 1901 could one of these be my absent ggrandfather????
sorry if I may cause any upset but need to know,Nel
Smith, Archer, Hilditch, Boulton, Boote, Wootton, Staffordshire and Cheshire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 06 01:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I am a bit out of touch with UK certificate availabiliy, but have you seen your grandfather's birth cert?
Does it simply say 'Father unknown'?

At first you thought no marriage happened,but now you think maybe to 'Johnson? Have you sighted the certs you are interested in so as to include or eliminate them?

Shouldn't a marriage certificate give you the names of fathers of both parties?
Or does what you have also say 'unknown?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 06 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Nel

This was quite some time ago!  I am now confused as to whom you are looking for? Are we now looking for Alfred, George and or Walter Johnson - cause it is quite a common name and there will be hundreds & I doubt not alot of methods to find yours, unless his death record indicates parent names - and you know the parent names.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk