Author Topic: HOULIHAN - Ireland - Blind fiddler also known as Travelling Jack  (Read 7308 times)

Offline brazill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOULIHAN - Ireland - Blind fiddler also known as Travelling Jack
« on: Tuesday 05 October 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on my great uncle Ned Houlihan also known as travelling Jack - He was born in Darnstown, kilmallock in 1839 and died 27th dec 1931.

He lost his eyesight in the attack on kilmallock barracks in 1867 and from then on travelled the roads of ireland on foot providing entertainment to the villages he passed through with his fiddle playing and storytelling. We know he settled in Tullamore as he got older and was very friendly with the O'Brennans from there.

Does anyone have any anecdotal or pictorial evidence of his travels at all? it was reported in an article in the Irish Independent in 1961 that there are at least two fictional characters by famous Irish writers based on Ned Holohan.

I have already been in contact with Tullamore historical society and with the O'Brennan's.

Anything at all would be appreciated  ;D

Offline VinnyHou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HOULIHAN - Ireland - Blind fiddler also known as Travelling Jack
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 13 12:51 BST (UK) »
I Brazil. I'm new to this. I heard recently that Rambling Jack Houlihan was either my uncle or gran uncle.My father James Houlihan was the Baby of a very large family

Hope this helps.
Vinny Houlihan

Offline VinnyHou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 August 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
Yea we are related. Hannah and Peggys youngest brother was Jimmy. My father. michael Houlihan and Mary Rice were my grandparents. ( only have 1 bad photo of gran) I'm on face book with all the Houlihans from Dublin ( my family) Portlaoise (Uncle pats family) and kilfennane. I'm the older of the 2 vincent Houlihans with the Italian flag behind me.

Great to meet you Cousin Jackie.

Offline brazill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 August 13 15:02 BST (UK) »
Fantastic!! great to meet you!! if you pm me your email i will add you to family tree and would appreciate it if you could fill in your line :) I also have pics and articles about Ramblin jack that i can email you.

Offline VinnyHou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 August 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
That is not only fantastic but an amazing coincidence. I was only walking to Aunt pegs grandaughter who lives in london. She was visiting us with her mam, and this man came up in the conversation. amazed to see his face. My Dad left us nothing to go on only stories. He was a great story teller, the only problem was separating fact from fiction was difficult when he was alive lol. I've been filling in the prices myself. I found his brother Pats family in portlaoise. I met Peg when she was alive and I could only describe her as a little Angel. If your on face book  My email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline VinnyHou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 August 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry if your on facebook, I have family photos there and its an easy way to track all the others

Offline VinnyHou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie. trying to figure out how to use to pm here as they wont let me send you my email. If you can send me one i will reply to it. When i went back on today all my messages had vanished.

Offline brazill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 August 13 17:14 BST (UK) »
i will pm you my email :)