Author Topic: Mary Taylor/Kilner/Kilmer  (Read 1862 times)

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Mary Taylor/Kilner/Kilmer
« on: Tuesday 05 October 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to come back to the Kilners with fresh eyes - can anyone help with this?

1841, Nottingham - Mary Kilmer living in Nottingham with her children John, age 4 and William, age 1.

1851 - Mary Kilner and "husband" Joseph in Nottingham with children John, William, Ann age 7 and Emily age 2.

1861 - Mary still in Nottingham with Ann,17, "Emma" 13, and a "neice", Elizabeth Leatherland age 21.

I'm trying to find out Mary's whereabouts and name/s before she got together with Joseph Kilner. I don't think they ever married. I have the following certificates:

William Kilner's birth, 1840 - father Joseph Kilner, FWK, mother Mary nee TAYLOR.
Emily Kilner's marraige, 1872 - father as above (deceased) (Joseph died in Leic workhouse)
and John Kilner's marraige cert, 1874 - but he married as John Taylor, father Joseph Taylor, labourer (he reappears as John Kilner after this and subsequently calls his son, John Taylor Kilner).

Childrens' baptisms all name Joseph Kilner, FWK, as father in the PR transcripts (Notts FH CDs):
John 1836
William 1840
then John and William baptised again, with Ann, in the workhouse in 1846
Emily 1854.

I have even buit a Leatherland tree to trace the neice shown in 1861 to try to get clues but have found no Taylors in that tree (although John Kilner and many of the Leatherland-extended-family men worked in the whip-making business in Sneinton - coincidence?)

Mary would have been into her 30's when her son John was born. Maybe she was married before. Maybe John wasn't Joseph K's child? - but why would JK be on the baptism but a different father on the marraige certificate?

Can anyone spot anything to help me trace Mary's background?

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)