Author Topic: Hulls of Harby  (Read 2363 times)

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hulls of Harby
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 03:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for the parents of Elizabeth Hull, born in Harby in 1798.  On my Philmore Marriage index, I have found only one Hull, William, who married Rosamond Welch of Harby in 1798.  I am hoping to sort out if they were Elizabeth's parents.  A William Hull is also listed in the 1881 census as being born in about 1804 in Harby.  I am hoping to link the group together.  Any ideas?  Elizabeth was married in 1824, so she wouldn't appear on the census for 1841 with her parents, but maybe William would.  Is there someone out there who has the 1841 Harby census? 
Many thanks,
Karen
Marriott,  Clarke,  Jones,  Atwood,  Tilson, Brewin

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hulls of Harby
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen, the Leics records blog ;

http://leicestershireparishrecords.blogspot.com/2010/05/phillimores-marriages-harby-1700-to.html

has the Harby marriages for 1700 - 1837. one you mention:

William Hull, of Wymondham, co. Leicester, & Rosamond Welch, lic. 1 May 1797

william Hull 1804 in the 1851 census:

Kimboulton,Notts
William Hull 47  Harby  ag lab
Elizabeth hull  47  Diseworth

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to check the 1841 census on A* = 629 inhabitents apparantly!!

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
only 2 =

1841 harby
George Hull  30  ag lab born in county
Martha Hull  30               "           "

there are quite a lot of Welchs though!!

Diddy

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 22 20:27 GMT (UK) »
We’ll, it’s been a few years trying to find Rosamond Welch and I had a second look at the Welch family in Harby. There was a Rose Moore born in 1768 who married Joseph Welch in 1793. Unfortunately Joseph died in 1795. Wondering if this Rose is my Rosamond who then remarried to William Hull in 1797. I have looked at the Philmore parish records and Rosamond is not listed as a widow in her marriage record. Is there any other way to test my theory?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 22 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Elizabeth born just pre the marriage on 1/5/1797:

Elizabeth Welch bp.4/4/1797 Harby, dau. of Rose Welch.

I would say your theory is correct - Rosamund Hull bc.1769, bur.25/12/1826 Harby.   With Rose Moore marrying a Joseph Welch 1793 in Harby (and he died 2 years later) I think she was indeed the Rosea Moore baptised in 1768.

The original parish marriage record for 1797 shows no status for either of them but it does state the marriage was by licence.   If you can trace the licence it might have further information regarding her status.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 November 22 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  The fact that there is no record for an Elizabeth Hull, but There is an Elizabeth Welch with mother Rose listed just one month prior to Rosamond marrying William Hull seems to add credence to my theory. Also Elizabeth Hull/Welch’s second child was named Rosanna .