Author Topic: Master Gardeners  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Gigi4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Master Gardeners
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 06:08 BST (UK) »
Where should I start looking for information regarding Thomas Beilby's occupation as a Master Gardener?  In 1861 census, aged 69, at Walton Grange, Private House.  Gigi4

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Master Gardeners
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
hi gigi4
where abouts was this walton grange , was it a country house or an estate it,s pos you may not find him even with that sort of job title
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Gigi4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 October 10 00:09 BST (UK) »
Trevor
I gather Walton, is a place in Yorkshire, England.  Yes I think it will be hard to find anything on Thomas Beilby (Beelby) and his career as a Master Gardener.

Gigi4

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
hello gigi4
 i,ve just googled walton grange yorks  and what came up was a residential home for the elderly which these days could well be right as if it was a large country house not many people can afforg to buy or run such a place , anyway 3 things there may be photos at the home of the house back in the old days, if you look on the site they do have a web site , also local libraries usually have old photos of the local area , also if this was in the yorks section you may find someone who knows the house .
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
I would guess that he was not the Head Gardener of the Big House in a wealthy family, but possibly the deputy. Certainly highly skilled.

At that age, maybe he had been the head gardener and was now retired and had a largely advisory role.

Both guesses.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk