Author Topic: 1851 Please  (Read 2156 times)

Offline MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Please
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
For James Bebbington born 1828/9

Possibly with his mother(Mary) in Witton cum Twambrooks, he was there in 41 and married there in 52 , kids were born there in 52,53,55 but I cant find him with Findmypast in 1851??

Other names Ive found them with are Babbington/Bobbington

Also looking for his wife to be Margaret Battersby b1833 ?Ireland, father William

Thanks
ARNOLD, PARTINGTON, FOSTER in StHelens
BEBBINGTON, FINDLOW in Northwich
BURROWS,Billinge,Northwich
DUMBILL/DUMBELL, Gt Sankey, St Helens
EDMUNDSON in Northumberland, Warrington, St Helens, Manchester
HENDERSON, Northumberland,St Helens
LIPTROTT, Billinge
BURROWS, Billinge, Northwich

BOAST, Suffolk,Widnes,St Helens :-
http://rattyclan.tribalpages.com/

https://sites.google.com/view/ss-samwater

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1851 Is this his mother along with what looks like a Margaret Battersby (born Salford though) in the same household. HO107 2165 348 page 21. - witton

I can't see them in 1861 though (checking his place of birth) but I can in 1871 - the strange thing is I can see a James Bebington married to a Margaret born Salford in 1861 which makes me wonder about the 1851 record.

junev

Offline MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry I cant see it now, Ive depleted my credits on Findmypast looking, is his mother Mary, brother John sister Phoebe?

In 1861 they should be in Liverpool next two children  born there in 60,62 Margaretta and William,
by 1866, next childs birth, they are in St Helens, and they stay there  for good.

On one of the censuses 1871 Margaret says shes born Bandridge or Banbridge? I took this to be Northern Ireland but on 1881 she says Manchester?

Thanks for looking  :)
LIPTROTT, Billinge

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1851 witton street Witton (which is the same place Mary Bebbington is at in 1841, with son John, James & Phoebe*)
Mary Bebbington widow 49 b Northwich
Samuel Bebbington son 22 hawker b Northwich
John Bebbington son 20 Brazier b Northwich
Mary Ann Bebbington d 15 b Witton
James Edwards lodger 53 labourer Tilston Shropshire
Margaret Batterby^ 20 hawker Saloford Lancs

^not totally clear

I cannot find a Phoebe Bebbington at all in 1851.

I cannot see the family in 1861 - what reference is it in Liverpool?

*There is also another Mary Bebbington on Witton Street in 1841 along with husband John & daughter Jane aged 15

Junev

Offline MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 October 10 02:02 BST (UK) »
Well thanks Junev
How did I miss that one? It certainly looks right, but where is James I wonder? and two extra siblings to add, wow.

Ive tried searching for Phoebe, being an unusual name. I think she must have died,  her father also. I havnt found a marriage for her but neither have I found a death (or for her father)Cheshire records eh!  There is another Phoebe but shes much older, possibly a connection, there are so many Bebbingtons in this area with similar family names it makes it hard to search.

I never found them (James and Margaret) on census in 1861, just going on the next  two children being born there. Are the James/Margaret born Salford you found in 1861 living in Cheshire? If they are Ive got something wrong. ???

In 1881 they are in St Helens,Windle, listed as Burlington.
LIPTROTT, Billinge

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 October 10 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Something odd going on here (!!) but hopefully further searching will now help! Bottom line I cannot find 'yours' in 1861 or a suitable James in 1851.

1861 the James & margaret I've found are in Chester but there are no children with them he is a labourer, she a milliner, 36 & 37. I can see these in later census still in chester (can't find them in 1871 though!) and they don't appear to have any children so I do not think they are yours. I can't find a marrige for them though. This Margaret actually appears to be born in Chester (consistent in later census) and the James in Salford/Manchester.

No matter what I search on in 1861 I cannot find any of 'yours' (Henrietta, shoe makers etc. etc.!) but the 1851 record of Mary etc, does seem to hold out.

Junev

Offline MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
Well thank you very much for your time I agree that the other James/Margaret arent mine and that the 1851 for Batterby is mine, and I have more children to find out about for his parents, at least thats something.  :) :)

Regards Gill
LIPTROTT, Billinge

Offline Dvdbib247

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 July 21 13:23 BST (UK) »
Well thank you very much for your time I agree that the other James/Margaret arent mine and that the 1851 for Batterby is mine, and I have more children to find out about for his parents, at least thats something.  :) :)

Regards Gill

Hi, I'm new to this site, but whilst having a look and search I found your 1851 enquiry and believe we have a common ancestor and that I can maybe help with some info.

I have found a reference to James Bebbington (my great, great, great grandfather who was a shoemaker.) (b 1828, Northwich, chesire)  he married Margret Battersby on 19th January 1852 at the Parish of Great Budworth, Chester (I suspect this is St Mary & All Saints) He was 24 she was 19 at the time. I have a census record somewhere that confirms her as being from Banderbridge, Ireland (but have never been able to track down her birth record).

They had 8 children Susan b 1854, Mary b 1856, Henrietta b 1858 (all Northwich) Margaretta b 1860, William James b 1862 (both Liverpool - William James is my Grest great grandfather), Louisa b 1866, Lizzie b 1868, John b 1870 (all St Helens).

William James married Anne Warren 28 April 1883 and also had 8 Children (though there is a suspicion of at least one unnamed child).

Slight digression- Annie was born in Ireland, but the Warrens originate from Bristol, and were in the glass industry, possibly were my Bebbingtons got involved in the glass industry as William was a glass blower).

William and Annie's children:

William b 5 Feb 1884
Margaret b 1885/6 in St Helens, married John Morris (a collier) 1903 and had 8 children).
Sarah Ann b 1887/8 she married someone with the surname large, but I can't find the dates etc at the minute)
James b 1890/1 d July 1964, a collier. married Olive who was born 28 June 1897, and resided in New Cross Street in 1939.
John b 1893 d 1981, stayed in Reid Street, shettleston. He never married and was known as Jock to family.
Albert Edward b 1895 d 1965 married in 1921 had at least one child also Albert Edward b 1924
Annie/Anne b 1901 d 1983 married Patrick Cahill 1927 had a few children, one of which I have actually spoken with.
George Hendry b 1903 d 14 September 1948 (my great grandfather) he married Eliza/lizzie Judge 20 May 1921 at St Mary's Chapel, Calton Glasgow and had 7 children.

The family moved to Glasgow sometime after George was born but certainly before 1911 as they appear in the census in Glasgow. Only John, Albert, Annie and George moved to Scotland with William James and Annie with the rest remaining in and around St Helens/Manchester.

George Hendrys 7 kids:

George b 1925 d 1997 (my grandfather)
William James b 1828 d 2004
Thomas b 1929 d can't recall date
Veronica Theresa b 1930 d 1987
Joseph b 1935 d 2011
James b 1938 d 1999
John b 1943 d 1943
Barbara b 1945 d 1997

My grandfather George married Mary Ann McGoldrick Mullen  (b 1923 d 2005) in 1945, they had 6 children

Elizabeth b 1947 d 2019, Georgina, George (my dad), Jane, Michael, Veronica Theresa.

I have trees on Ancestory, find my past and family search though all at various stages of incompleteness. Find my past goes back to 1600s but I like tonhave a few pieces of paperwork to backneverything up, most of which I have for the people quoted above.
Bebbington - St Helens and surround, Glasgow
Warren - Bristol and Glasgow
Mullin - Omagh, Co Tyrone and Glasgow
Heaney - Lurgan, Co Armagh and Glasgow
McAleer - Omagh, Co Tyrone
Crawford - Co Tyrone
Reed- possibly Cork
Fraser - Govan
Dunn - Glasgow
McKean - Glasgow
Judge - Omagah, Co Tyrone/Rutherglen

Offline MUMMYG