Author Topic: Harris / Bowen - Clontarf  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Harris / Bowen - Clontarf
« on: Thursday 07 October 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather William Henry Harris married Anne Bowen, daughter of George Bowen, at Clontarf Parish Church [COI] on 13 August 1857.

William was born in Sheffield, England on 28 May 1831 and became a coastguard in Ireland after serving in the Royal Navy. He died on 31 October 1891 in the Parish of St. Catherine.

Is the Parish of St. Catherine near to Clontarf and how might I find any further information on Anne Bowen and her father George ?

Co.Fermanagh:Donegan, Co.Antrim:Donaldson,Donegan
Co.Down:Bingham,Cromie,Ferguson,Henning,Thompson,Truesdale,Young
Co.Galway/Co.Sligo:McNiffe, Cornwall: Bray, Bucks:Steele, Notts:Thompson
Devon: Harris, Canada:McNiffe, USA:Frink,Henning

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Harris / Bowen - Clontarf
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 October 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
St. Catherine's CofI church is located on Thomas St and is in west Dublin City, roughly between Dublin Castle and James St (where Guinness brewery is located).

It would not be the home parish for Clontarf which is on the east coast in Dublin north. Maybe William lived in that area at one time ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
shanew147,

Thank you for replying.

I found on http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie that the burial of my William Harris, of Strandville,Clontarf was on 31 October 1891 in St Catherine's Parish Church and assumed that it must have been close to where Clontarf is.

My William did live in the Clontarf area as a coastguard before marrying Anne Bowen from the same area in 1857.

Have you any thoughts on where I might be able to trace Anne Bowen, born about 1835, and her father George ?

Leslie     

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
shanew147,

Thank you for replying.

I found on http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie that the burial of my William Harris, of Strandville,Clontarf was on 31 October 1891 in St Catherine's Parish Church and assumed that it must have been close to where Clontarf is.

My William did live in the Clontarf area as a coastguard before marrying Anne Bowen from the same area in 1857.

Have you any thoughts on where I might be able to trace Anne Bowen, born about 1835, and her father George ?

Leslie     

I saw the marriage and bural records on the IrishGenealogy
website - I presue you check for details of Anne already ?

It's pity the parish marriage record does not mention occupations for fathers or more detailed addresses.

Clontarf is right on the edge of the Dublin City area covered by the IrishGenealogy website, and I dont think earlier records for the area are included at the moment...  it might be worth keeping an eye on the website for any updates.

Since William died after the start of civil registration it might be worth checking for a death cert, as it will include some other information that might help your search - e.g. occupation, place of death, possibly residence at the time

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
Shane,

I have not been able to find any research on Anne Bowen.

I shall watch for any updates to IrishGenealogy and try and get a death certificate for William Harris.

Thanks,  Leslie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
It's a long shot... but it might be worth checking for a civil marriage cert for William and Anne. The marriage is before full registration started in 1864 so the Church of Ireland record may count as the civil record, but maybe the details for the civil records could have slightly better addresses and father's occupations

Have you located Coastguard posting records for William ? 
If not I have download many of the ADM175 records for Ireland and may be be able to find some details for him.

I had a quick look at a Thom's directory for 1863 for any Bowen listing - but and none are located anywhere near to Clontarf. Most are city centre or south county... but there is one possible connection:

Mr. George Bowen, 69 Dominick Street Upr

I think the fact that he has a title of Mr. (most people dont) and no occupation would mean that he is reasonably well-off.

Maybe Anne was from another part of Dublin and had moved to Clontarf for her work as a dressmaker ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 10 07:05 BST (UK) »
I was able to download a copy of the Church register page for the marriage of William and Anne, but it does not give any addresses or professions of the fathers. Where could I obtain a copy of a civil marriage certificate?

From the Coastguards of Yesteryear website I found that William's postings were:
Clontarf  15 June 1857
Cappa   31 January 1860
Arklow  27 July 1860
Wicklow  8 June 1865

Leslie 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 October 10 08:18 BST (UK) »
I was able to download a copy of the Church register page for the marriage of William and Anne, but it does not give any addresses or professions of the fathers. Where could I obtain a copy of a civil marriage certificate?

you can search the civil BMD Index  on familysearch, and order certs from the GRO - see : Introduction to Irish Records

I had a look at the index and these look like the references to the marriage :

Name: Anne Bowen
 Registration District: Dublin North
 Event Type: Marriage
 Year: 1857
 volume : 5 / page : 51

Name: William Henry Harris
 [same index references]

The civil cert is probably a copy of the marriage cert ... but might be worth a try just in case something extra was written in.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline ambyrne1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 October 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
I have a john and Catherine Bowen in Slaters 1881 in Howth (okay a little further out) they are head and mistresses of the National School

Also in 1870 the same George as Shane below.

Wilson: Kirkoswald, Scotland and Dublin
Breen: Hendrick Street, Brunswick Street,Dublin
Moore: Kildare and Dublin
lyons: Hendrick Street and Brunswick Street,Dublin
Donnelly: Marrowbone lane, Braithwaite street, Dublin
Byrne: Mercer Street, Dublin
Mills: Dublin, Wicklow
Higgins: Dublin
Gray: Aryshire, Scotland
Mills King, Wicklow and Dublin
Donegan, St Catherines Parish, Dublin
Murphy: Enniscorthy and Ballybanoge, Wexford