Author Topic: Glasgow marriage  (Read 7445 times)

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow marriage
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 October 10 07:36 BST (UK) »
That looks promising especially as their first born child was Gordon, named after the father and another child Katie, also known as Catherine.
I have had information from another site that Marion may have been a Johnston,  with Shaw being her mother's maiden name, unsure why she would put Shaw on the birth certificate. Cant find any William Good married to a Marion Johnston either.
Will just keep hunting.
thanks for the response

2shea
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow marriage
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 06:44 GMT (UK) »
I just thought I would let all you guys know that I have finally found William and Marion's marriage and what a convoluted tale it is so you will see why their marriage couldn't be found. 
I was lucky enough to find a descendant and they filled me in on the story.
William was firstly married to Elizabeth Neilson in 1867 and they had 6 children. In the 1881 census they are living apart, William living with brother Gordon (thanks Sancti).  Marion was married to Richard Simpson and in 1881 census living together with three children. In 1883 Marion along with the children emmigrated to New Zealand but the ships entry says that Richard "short shipped".  Cant find William's immigration but somehow they met up and had 7 children together before getting married in 1901. Marion shown as Simpson which is correct. The name Shaw on the birth certificate along with the marriage date was completely false -  Shaw was Marion's mother's maiden name.
Thanks again for trying to help but ancestors tell some porkies sometimes and makes it difficult for us to find them but we do in the end
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown