Author Topic: VIC Marriage - DOHERTY/DORNEY, look up please  (Read 5322 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: VIC Marriage - DOHERTY/DORNEY, look up please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The only other thing to try is contacting the relevant church at Emerald Hill, possibly some records survive, its a long shot but worth trying. I firmly believe that there are a few records that didn't make it from the church to the registrars office.
I also had a couple that gave an excact date of their wedding but couldn't find the marriage. 

When did your couple die? Just to make sure we are dealing with two different couples.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Mum mum,

Thank you again for your reply, I have already written to all the Catholic Churches within Emerald Hill/ South Melbourne area without any success.

William Doherty died in Ballarat in 1915 and Catherine Dorney died in Sunbury Hospital in 1897.  I believe that I have already established in my previous post that the Dolan's and the Doherty's are two separate families.

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 09:13 GMT (UK) »
'Emerald Hill' is not a country town it is 'South Melbourne', Victoria  :)

Several churches to choose from with the short distance between there & the cdb, even back then  :o

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,n
Sorry for asking about the deaths, just neede to get it clear in my own head.

I take it William's age and place of birth are consistent on each of the childrens birth certificates.

Have you tried searching the few Irish records available online?
You have a year of birth, give or take a couple and a father's name.

Were there any other people of interest on the 'Invincible'? Possible relatives.

mmum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 December 10 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

No possible relatives on the 'Invincible' they each arrived on their own by the look of it. I could see the image for William on Ancestry but not Catherines for some reason.

Possibly finding the marriage certificate may not tell you much anyway as those early ones often didn't have any information on them.
If William was 24 when he arrived that makes his birth year 1833, does this concur with the birth certificates?

I was wondering about the gap between their marriage and the first child, perhaps William was working away somewhere. The convicts or assisted immigrants are much easier because you can get this information about them.

I would guess that his father's name was William, if it says so on his death certificate, he has also named his first son William Thomas. The first child was Elizabeth Anne, that would lead me to think his Mum could have been Elizabeth or anne.

Try posting on the County Cork board in the hope that someone has some access to birth records, you may be lucky.

mum mum