Author Topic: Census of Ireland - 1926  (Read 19262 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census of Ireland - 1926
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
The 1926 N.I. census is unlikely to be available before 2026.
http://www.nisranew.nisra.gov.uk/census/censushistory/censusireland.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
Good point, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'll see this as an opportunity to make some money and start charging for access to census data - ken

They can't.  There is an agreement between Canada and Ireland that the census information is to be free (1901 and 1911).

Let's just hope Canada gets involved in all the census LOL

In the spirit of international collaboration in heritage preservation, Library and Archives Canada (LAC) signed an agreement with the National Archives of Ireland (NAI) in December 2005 to make the censuses of Ireland for 1901 and 1911 accessible online and free of charge. LAC's contribution to this project included digitizing microfilm reels, linking images to the database and making the records searchable by name.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/ireland/033001-5000-e.html

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
The 1926 N.I. census is unlikely to be available before 2026.
http://www.nisranew.nisra.gov.uk/census/censushistory/censusireland.html

Right thanks are there any plans for this one, the more relavant one in 1941 with the people i want to find in it won't be realesed until 2041 thats while unfair! :'(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
The purpose of the census is to gather statistics on the population of a country not for family research. At the present time I don't think Britain has any plans to change the release of census material.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I do not think that there was a census in 1941, the United Kingdom was in the middle of a war. I think that the next one was 1951, then every 10 years since and an intermediate one in 1966.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I do not think that there was a census in 1941, the United Kingdom was in the middle of a war. I think that the next one was 1951, then every 10 years since and an intermediate one in 1966.

Regards

Sorry but what was the one before that then am i mistaken that there was one in 1931?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
The link I posted earlier mentions the later records- "In order to bridge the gap between the census of 1926 and the planned census of 1941 a census of more limited scope (e.g. omitting questions regarding occupation and industry) was taken in 1937. The outbreak of war and the subsequent paper shortage led to a restricted publication programme and later, inevitably, to the abandonment of plans for the 1941 census. Since 1951 Censuses in Northern Ireland have been held at the same time as the rest of the United Kingdom at ten yearly intervals, with the exception of the additional 1966 mid term census."

Offline kenetic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:30 BST (UK) »

They can't.  There is an agreement between Canada and Ireland that the census information is to be free (1901 and 1911).

Let's just hope Canada gets involved in all the census LOL

Karen, I wasn't aware of the agreement between Ireland and Canada for the 1901/1911 census data, I wonder which side insisted on such a clause?LOL. 

Don't get me wrong I hope that future census data remains free, but the state this country is in at the moment I can't see the government setting aside funds for a project such as this unless there is a monetary return from it, look at this way, most of road network are now free but that looks to change with all the additional road tolls they have planned - ken

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 October 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
I think a free-to-access release could be viewed as part of a promotion of Genealogy Tourism and the knock on benefits to the economy as a result. Hopefully some of the many people world wide with Irish Ancestry will locate online clues to their ancestors and visit to see locations for themselves.

I dont know if it's an official policy but the free access to the census and involvement of the Dept. of Tourism in the IrishGenealogy project & website seem to point to this..

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests