Author Topic: Durham Militia - 1st Royal Veteran Bat. 1780's -1809  (Read 14502 times)

Offline Bhx7

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Durham Militia - 1st Royal Veteran Bat. 1780's -1809
« on: Friday 08 October 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am brand new to military research and am wondering if any of you knowledgeable people would be able to help me. A few of my ancestors served in the Durham Militia. One served as a Sergeant and retired as a Corporal in 1809 in Gibraltar after serving 23 yrs 6 mths. His service included serving with the Prince of Wales Dragoons and the last 7 years with the 1st R V Bat.

My curiosity is how would I find out what he did during these years and also I would love to know what his Uniforms would have looked like. On the bottom of his release papers it states that he was no longer fit for duty - York Hospital 2 Oct 1809 and was discharged the same day. Would this indicate injuries during some conflict?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks to all in advance

Regards
Brian

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Militia - 1st Royal Veteran Bat. 1780's -1809
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The National Archives may have Muster Rolls which will give you his location during his service and record things such as when they were ill etc. I have some and I wonder how he survived as around him after a battle his colleagues are listed as injured or dead.

Junev

Offline Peter J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 October 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian,

Have you tried the Durham Light Infantry Museum?...

http://county.durham.gov.uk/sites/dli/Pages/History.aspx

There are quite a few websites dedicated to the regiment including volunteer battalions. A quick 'Google' will connect you to what is available.

Here, is another...

http://www.lightinfantry.me.uk/dli.htm

Kind regards,

Peter.
JONES [East London, Deal & Dover, Kent]
CROWHURST [Sussex & Kent]
GOYMER [Deal & Dover, Kent]
NEWSOM(E) [Kent]
GUY [Kent]
EZRA [St. Pancras & East London]
LINDSEY [North London & East London]
ARKELL [Glos. & East London]
CURTIN, O’SHEA, JAGOE, DONOVAN [Cork City, Ireland]

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 October 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
Lets start at the top.

A few of my ancestors served in the Durham Militia.
The militia were a home-defence force and never served abroad.

One served as a Sergeant and retired as a Corporal in 1809 in Gibraltar after serving 23 yrs 6 mths. His service included serving with the Prince of Wales Dragoons and the last 7 years with the 1st R V Bat.
Was this chap also with the Durham Militia for a time? Reading your post it was unclear to me.
What was his name?
PoW Dragoons would be the 10th Light Dragoons I assume. In the period of interest they didn't serve abroad until the back end of 1808 (Peninsular War).
1st Royal Veteran Btn was raised at Portsmouth in Dec 1802 from various men no longer fit for active service. In short they were a garrison battalion, freeing up regular battalions for field service. They were in England till 1805 then were sent to Gibraltar.

On the bottom of his release papers it states that he was no longer fit for duty - York Hospital 2 Oct 1809 and was discharged the same day. Would this indicate injuries during some conflict?
Most unlikely as I doubt very much he saw any campaign service. Sickness? Uld age?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Peter J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 October 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
Brian,

This from the DLI Asscoiation website:

For 40 years the 68th [Regiment of Foot] then carried out garrison duties and served in Canada. The Militia in County Durham had been reorganised in 1759 by the Earl of Darlington and, during the Napoleonic Wars, was permanently mobilised. In 1853 a second battalion was formed, the older battalion becoming the Durham Fusiliers in 1869. In 1881 these two Militia battalions became the 4th and 5th Battalions of The Durham Light Infantry. The Volunteers evolved from a home defence Rifle Corps to become the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Territorial Battalions of The Durham Light Infantry in 1908, although the 6th Battalion retained the traditions of the old Rifle Corps, having no Colours and wearing black buttons.

http://www.dlisouthshields.org.uk/regimental_history.php

...and this from Wiki...

[edit] 1881 to 1908
1881 - 68th and 106th become 1st and 2nd Battalions The Durham Light Infantry, Militia Battalions renamed 3rd and 4th Battalions The Durham Light Infantry
1882 - 2nd Bn. went to Gibraltar and thence to Egypt in 1884.
1884 - Depot moved from Sunderland to Newcastle, shared with Royal Northumberland Fusiliers.
1885 - 2nd Battalion had been at home, Gibraltar and Malta, and now moved to Egypt, Battle of Ginnis, 30 December 1885. It was employed with the force under General Stephenson.
1887 - 2nd Battalion returned to India and was still there in 1899.
1890–1899 - 2nd DLI dominate Indian polo scene
1899 - 1st Battalion in Boer War, 2nd Battalion sent company of Mounted Infantry from India, 3rd and 4th Battalions fought in war also. 1st Bn. at Relief of Ladysmith, Colenso, Spion Kop and Vaal Krantz[1].
1900 - The 3rd and 4th Battalions of the regiment were formerly the 1st Durham Militia Fusiliers, and the 2nd or North Durham Militia. The head-quarters were at Barnard Castle and Newcastle upon Tyne respectively. The 1st volunteer battalion was at Stockton-on-Tees, the 2nd at Bishop Auckland, the 3rd at Sunderland, the 5th at Durham and the 5th at Gateshead.
1908 - 3rd and 4th Battalions exchanged numbers and designated Special Reserve Battalions, they trained the bulk of recruits for Regiment during 1914 – 18 War, never reformed after war and disbanded in 1958. 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Battalions merged to form the 151st Brigade of the 50th (Northumbrian) Division. Territorial Force created - 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th DLI formed.

Regards,
JONES [East London, Deal & Dover, Kent]
CROWHURST [Sussex & Kent]
GOYMER [Deal & Dover, Kent]
NEWSOM(E) [Kent]
GUY [Kent]
EZRA [St. Pancras & East London]
LINDSEY [North London & East London]
ARKELL [Glos. & East London]
CURTIN, O’SHEA, JAGOE, DONOVAN [Cork City, Ireland]

Offline Bhx7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 October 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for the help so far. As I said I am truly just learning.

His name was Bartholomew Harrison. I have 2 lots of papers for him the first which states him as serving in the Durham Militia overall for 23 years 6 mths upto the 1st May 1802 and Sergent for the  last 4 years and 9 mths of that. His age at this point is stated at 47 (Ref WO 121/63). Then the second Document, obviously his dishcharge papers, that states him as being discharged from 7th Aug 1809 in Gibraltar and also it states that he was in the Prince of Wales Dragoons from 6th May 1790 - 25th sept 1802then out on Pension for 3 mths before rejoining 1st Royal Veteran Battalion on 25th Dec 1802 till his discharge date. Age at discharge state as 54 (Ref WO 97/1140B).

After reading closer, as some of it is very hard to read, I noticed it say that his discharge was due to "Asthma and General Debility".

Does this information help any further.

Kind regards
Brian

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bhx7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 October 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy

Unfortunately it only takes me to a subscription page

Regards
Brian

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 October 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
I have 2 lots of papers for him the first which states him as serving in the Durham Militia overall for 23 years 6 mths upto the 1st May 1802 and Sergent for the  last 4 years and 9 mths of that. His age at this point is stated at 47 (Ref WO 121/63).

Then the second Document, obviously his dishcharge papers, that states him as being discharged from 7th Aug 1809 in Gibraltar and also it states that he was in the Prince of Wales Dragoons from 6th May 1790 - 25th sept 1802then out on Pension for 3 mths before rejoining 1st Royal Veteran Battalion on 25th Dec 1802 till his discharge date. Age at discharge state as 54 (Ref WO 97/1140B).

Well he can't have been in both the Durham Militia from 1789-1802 (1st set of papers) AND the Prince of Wales Dragoons from 1790-1802 (2nd set).
Two entirely different units!
Also he can't be age 47 in 1802 (1st set of papers) and age 54 in the same year (2nd set).

Sounds like two different men of the same name.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals