Author Topic: Durham Militia - 1st Royal Veteran Bat. 1780's -1809  (Read 14501 times)

Offline Bonzo Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Militia - 1st Royal Veteran Bat. 1780's -1809
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 07 January 12 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alwina

My John Smurthwaite, who was from Durham, married Agnes Latta, from Irvine in Ayrshire, some time around 1798, probably in Ireland (which is where their first child was born). Other evidence suggests he was born about 1778, so I think would be too young to marry in 1794. The surname Smurthwaite is concentrated around Durham City, so it would not be unusual to find a marriage of another John Smurthwaite.

Fencibles were special regiments raised during the French Revolutionary Wars, most of which had been disbanded by 1802. Considering the relative populations of the two countries, many more regiments were raised in Scotland than in England. Many Fencibles regiments served in Ireland during the rebellion of 1798.

John

Offline Galantly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 July 12 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Artie, I have been interested to hear about the Durham Fencibles, I had never heard mention of them or their connection to the Durham Light Infantry which is the Regiment my father (William Dover b1897 Sunderland) was in during WW1, he died when I was 7 years old in 1944, so it wasn't until 2001 that I found my fathers Medals which were among my eldest brothers possesions when he died, I have searched for his service records without success, is it possible they could be among the records that were destroyed, he appears to have two numbers 2081 and 275283 and a date of entry to France 28-10-15...., how can I know which Battalion he was in and which battles his Battalion would have faught in.......with these medals of my Fathers was one for an Eleazer Griffiths who according to the inscriptionon on it was a Trumpeter,( is that the same as Bugler ?) ... at Waterloo in the 13th Reg. Light Dragoons....but that is research for another day, in the winter maybe
Regards Galantry.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 July 12 04:13 BST (UK) »
The block of numbers 275001 to 300000 was allocated to the 7th DLI in March 1917. So he was the 283rd most senior man in the battalion on that date. This matches his early number 2081 which is almost certainly pre-war. They started at 1 in 1908 when they were formed.

The 7th only had one battalion In France - the 1st/7th - who were with 50th Division until 20 June 1918 when they transferred to 8th Division.

= http://www.1914-1918.net/50div.htm
= http://www.1914-1918.net/8div.htm

You can follow the battles they were involved in from these links. From November 1915 they were Pioneers.

Ken

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 29 July 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
pension record for
eleazer griffiths  born 1778 kidwelly camarthenshire
age at att 24 yrs  att date 4 june 1802
discharge rank trumpet major
enlisted ipswich suffolk on 4 jun 1802 at age 24 for unlimited service
record sheet ,
pembroke fencible cavalry 25 jun 1795 - 18 aug 1800
durham fencible infantry 19 aug 1800 - 22 may 1802
13th light dragoons 4 jun 1802 - 24 sep 1828 , trumpeter 13 yrs 153 days , private 12yrs 325 days
in east or west indies 9 yrs 103 days [ on another image it states india as posting ]
waterloo 2yrs
discharged due to chronic rheumatism
he signed his own name was aged about 50  5 foot 8 tall  brown hair hazel eyes and fresh complexion occ musician .
thats all the relevent info on 4 images for him
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Galantly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 29 July 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Ken for helping me understand my fathers WW1 records, also for adding the links which are very interesting and informative.
I noticed that you mentioned that they were Pioneers, which probably explains the collar badges in one of his military photo's which look as though they are crossed Pickaxe and Rifle.. Possibly representing Pioneers.

Thanks for your time and Interest, much appreciated.

Sheila (Galantly)

Offline Galantly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 July 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Trevor,
thank you so much, I am so grateful to have all this information  I would never have thought of him enlisting in Suffolk, I wonder do you have any other information on this Eleazer Griffiths, I haven't been able to find his parents, but he had a daughter Margaret christened 1st May 1808 at the local church when he was Billited in Fordington Barracks Nr Dorchester Dorset in 1808.

Sheila (Galantly)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 30 July 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
hi sheila .
i,ve just found this parish birth record for an eliezer griffith 12 apr 1781 baptism in llangendeirne carmarthen .
fathers forename john
page 68
record source carmarthen baptism transcripts
data provider  welsh active services .
this is all i can find i,m afraid
regards
trevor
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Galantly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trevor for this information about the Baptism of Eleazer Griffiths, gradually I am being able, with the help of kind people like yourself, to start to form a picture of Eleazers life, he retired or discharged in 1828 as Trumpet Major age 50 years due to Chronic Rheumatism....now to find out how long he had to enjoy the rest of his life, and maybe where he is buried.

Regards, Sheila

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
hi sheila
a possible death in 1859 reg dist cardiff apr - jun vol 11a p 158
regards
trevor