Author Topic: Durham Militia - 1st Royal Veteran Bat. 1780's -1809  (Read 14504 times)

Offline Bhx7

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Militia - 1st Royal Veteran Bat. 1780's -1809
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 October 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Neil

I stated that at discharge in 1809 he was aged 54 years and when he went to pension in 1802 he was aged 47 years.  I know this age is right at both times and also that this coincides with age and birth. I can also be very positive that there was only one Bartholomew Harrison born in 1750's in St Andrews, Bishop Auckland which is stated on both the extracts. He is the brother of my 5 x Great Grandfather. Reading even closer it states on the 1st set of Records -

"His majesty's Durham Regiment Miliitia whereof  The Earl of Darlington Colonel"   ......aged 47years and by trade a Weaver hath served honestly and faithfully the said regiment Eighten Years and nine  months and in the Prince of Wales light Dragoons and 4 years nine months was a Sergent.

The two sets of documents slightly change the times served in the different services but both mention the same ones. All the service dates between both sets of Papers tally so I would say same person.

Regards
Brian

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 October 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
the link i gave is for a bartholomew harrison serving in the 6th Regt Of Dragoon Guards

he was born in c 1777 in bishop auckland.
he joined up in clonmel.tipperary in 1796
he was in the durham fencibles cavalry till 1800,,then transfered to the dragoon guards.
he was a weaver.
he was discharged due to incontinence of the urine and having a diseased testicle due to being kicked by a horse.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bhx7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 October 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy

Yes I believe he is one of my Harrison family, although not my direct branch. I have been given a copy of diary of this mans nephew in which he names his Uncle Bartholomew along with the rest of his fathers family. A very interesting and enlightening read. The thing about this man is that his baptism, unlike the rest of the family does not seem to want to be found.

Thank you so much for the interest and help. I remember when I first read the description of his injuries i cringed quite badly. Not the best thing to suffer from. This Bartholomew is also the nephew of the older Bartholomew mentioned in my earlier posts.

Thank you again

Brian

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 October 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
I stated that at discharge in 1809 he was aged 54 years and when he went to pension in 1802 he was aged 47 years.

So you did, I didn't read that correctly.
I'm still dubious about the 10th Light Dragoons though. The Earl of Darlington was colonel of the Princess of Wales' Fencible Cavalry (mounted militia basically), so I suspect that's the unit meant. Would make more sense really, and would imply confusion with the similarly names 10th LD.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Artie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 November 10 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Brian,

I have been researching the Durham Fencibles with a view to publication and was pleased to stumble across your relationship with Bartholomew Harrison.  It appears that there were two of that name from Bishop Auckland serving together in the same regiment; one noted as being born around 1755 and the other in 1778.  I had presumed that they could have been related as there were a few instances of father and son serving together.  Your fascinating (but painful) medical notes are invaluable. 

Artie.

Offline Bhx7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 November 10 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Artie

The first Bartholomew Harrison bC1755 was my 5 x Great Grandfathers brother and the second b C1778 his nephew. I would be truly interested in your publication and any information on the Durham Fencibles. I find this whole side of my tree really fascinating. Could you tell me what the uniform would have looked like or have an illustration of it as it would be great for my tree. If you would like to contact me direct you can on ............
Kind regards
Brian
Moderator Comment:  Email address removed.  Please us our personal message system

Offline Bonzo Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Artie

I would be interested in knowing more about your proposed book on the Durham Fencibles, as it possible that an ancestor of mine served in the regiment. I am plannning on visiting TNA to look at the muster rolls at some point, but am wondering if you have extracted the names of those who served.

I believe my ancestor John Smurthwaite from Durham may have served in the Durham Fencibles, as his first child was born in Ireland in 1799, so he presumably married there, but he had returned to Durham with his new wife by 1802. I cannot see why he would have gone to Ireland during this period of unrest unless on military service, and think that there was a good chance that he served in the Fencibles, who are known to have served in Ireland during that period. I also understand that most Fencible regiments were disbanded in 1802 following the temporary cessation of hostilities resulting from the Treaty of Amiens, which would fit in with his return home.

I would be grateful for any information.

John

Offline Artie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your note, John.

I've had a quick check through my notes but cannot as yet find anyone of that name, certainly in the registers of commissioned or non-commissioned officers.  He might not necessarily have been in either of the Durham Fencible regiments and I see that from your heading you refer to the Durham Militia, which was an entirely different set-up.  The personnel were not all from this area and he might have been with another county or militia regiment but if you have the location of the child's birth I might be able to confirm whether the Durham regiments were in that region.  Some personnel did marry local girls while they were in Ireland.

Artie.

Offline Bonzo Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 January 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Artie

The heading of the post was following that of  the original thread, but I did pick up your post by searching for Durham Fencibles. I am aware of the Durham Militia being a separate body, as another ancestor of mine served in it.

I have no evidence that John Smurthwaite, born in Durham in 1778, served in the military. I do know that he was in Ireland in 1799, but cannot imagine why he would have gone there as a civilian at a time of rebellion. In the 1851 census his eldest daughter is recorded as having been born in Ireland. She was baptised in Durham in 1803 but her date of birth was recorded as 1799. His second daughter was born and baptised in Durham in 1802. John Smurthwaite's wife had been born in Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland, recorded in the detailed Barrington-style baptism records of his children. I assume they met in Ireland, but what she was doing there is also a mystery. I therefore have no idea where in Ireland they married or where their daughter was born. After discovering that the Durham Fencibles had served in Ireland during the appropriate period, and been disbanded in 1802, I felt that it was a possibility worth following up.

I am planning to search for John Smurthwaite in muster rolls of regiments that served in Ireland during this period at TNA, but if you do come across him, I would be pleased to hear from you.

Kind regards

John