Author Topic: St. Benet Sherehog, London- RE Entry  (Read 1357 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
St. Benet Sherehog, London- RE Entry
« on: Friday 08 October 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I just Googled my ancestor Simeon Hillery as you do  :) and found two references one I, he was a witness at a marriage the second I hope someone will be able to help me out?
Hillery, Simeon, 214
WONDERED what it is .. birth, death, burial, what year? Any help most appreciated.
To find this I downloaded for free
Author: Walbrook London. St. Stephen's
Title: The registers of St. Stephen's, Walbrook, and of St. Benet Sherehog, London (Volume pt.2)
Format: txt
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: St. Benet Sherehog, London- RE Entry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Was this from Google Books?

Just searched using the words "Hillery Simeon" (in that order) and spotted the reference to him in "The Publications of the Harleian Society: Registers, Volume 50".

The number "214" appears in the index - it's the page number.

Page 214 lists him as one of the two witnesses at the marriage of Benjamin Rolfe and Lidia Billings on 23 November at the church you mentioned. The other witness was a John Stedman.

The year isn't shown on this extract from the book.

However a further search elsewhere shows that the banns for this marriage were also called at St Mary Woolnoth a few weeks earlier in 1792.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Benet Sherehog, London- RE Entry
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 October 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply  ;D
Not Google Books just plain Google and I entered Simeon Hillery ( that way around ) Yes saw the marriage/witness but further down that page he is entered again just Hillery, Simeon, 214
So you are telling me that this just refers to page entry of the marriage with details he was a witness, nothing more? Well if so you have sorted that one out for me ...... Thank you.
In my tree I have
Simeon Thomas Hillery born 1786 Essex and two marriages for him, his father being Simeon Hillery born 1753 no place of birth- he is my brick wall  :-\ I do know that he married Elizabeth Finch 1771 23rd April Saint Mary, Whitechapel, Middlesex,Tower Hamlets she died 1801 but would love to know his birthplace, probably out of the county, he was a Coachman so travelled all over possibly, who knows.
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk