Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 181208 times)

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #297 on: Friday 18 November 16 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Nearer the time perhaps, but in the meantime if there is a particular building that is relevant to the loss, contact the Town Council with details and nominate it for a "blue plaque". 

As an aside the Town Council and the County Council are jointly commemorating the deaths 99 years ago of 9 soldiers at Blyth Beach, with a floral design ( at the location of the bike race and the tall ships floral displays) We hope to have a service of remembrance at the beach on 24th August next year, the 100th anniversary of the loss.
Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Friday 23 December 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday on the tv programme, The Chase, one of the questions was - which is the Scottish colloquial term for going for some provisions [food].  One of the three choices was "messages".  That is a term we used when I was young, when I was asked to go to the shops for some messages. The Co-op at Newsham was always referred to as 'the store', so we would be told to go the store for some messages, and be given a note of what was needed, together with the appropriate dividend number.
And as the Co-op was situated on Newcastle Road, at the junction with Plessey Road, the row of terraced houses going up towards New Deleval was known as the 'Store Terrace'

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Friday 23 December 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
This came up recently on one of the other forums I belong to (Gransnet). Discussing accents and dialect words. Messages were mentioned. Many Northumberland words were used in Scotland too, and vice versa.
I can still remember our Coop number 14546. I think our Coop was on Croft Road.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Friday 23 December 16 15:30 GMT (UK) »
TriciaK, I might have a look at Gransnet, just out of interest.  I might be barred, being too young for such a site. :D  I remember you as a prefect at BGS when I was ?? years of age. :-X
Christmas Greetings to you and your family, and any other RootsChatters who peruse the Blyth History page.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Saturday 24 December 16 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I hope I wasn't too strict  :)
I wish you would join Gransnet - there are a few men who post, but I think the women have scared them off.
They should change the name.
Festive Greetings to all from me too.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Saturday 24 December 16 19:56 GMT (UK) »
TriciaK,  A few more men to join Gransnet - no chance whatsoever, as the Geordie comedian, Dick Irwin said, "Geordieland where men are men, and a pansie is just a flower."  Anyhow, joining a women's site I would never be able to get a word in, never mind post something.
As regards Dick Irwin, I had an LP which I bought 30+ years ago, "A Night with the Geordies at Balmbras."  I loaned it out and never got it back. Still missed.
And on the same theme, - Dorothy Sandvid, Dorfy, she was from the South Shields area, born and bred there, but her column in the Shields Gazette (?), and which was later produced in booklet form was an absolute gem.  I think it was titled, " A Housewife's Lot " and covered everything from normal everyday chores, observations, and happenings, and the jewel in that booklet was her observations on getting ready for New Year's Eve.
Hope everyone has a good and Happy Christmas, and the New Year brings health and happiness to all.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Saturday 31 December 16 15:33 GMT (UK) »
New Year's Eve, Just sitting and thinking about the old times up in Blyth from just after the War.  I must have been about 7 yrs old when parents and neighbours stayed up and first footed.  It must have been a joyous occasion after the end of the War and all its worries.  Also, a large Christmas Tree in Blyth Market Place.  It may have been provided by the people of Norway, but correct me if I am wrong.
And what has brought these memories on ? Radio4extra - Old Year's Night - Scottish customs with James Naughtie- contributors mention the fact that even into the 1950's, Christmas Day in Scotland was a normal day for work and schools. And I remember that relatives over the Border would confirm this.
"Best of Aall for the New Year to you all. Peace in your houses, together with health and happiness, and prosperity."
PS. Wish Aa waas back up in Blyth, Cowpen, Bebside, or even Newsham for an old celebration as it used to be.  And don't forget to open the back door to let the Old Year out, then open the front door to let the New Year Inn, and hopefully The Tall, Dark Firstfoot.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Sunday 01 January 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Ah well, so we'll just have to manage without you on Gransnet, Pityacky  :(
All the best for 2017 to all of you from me too.
Strange , I have so many clear memories of Blyth from those days, but for some reason, none about Christmas and New Year.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Friday 24 February 17 13:12 GMT (UK) »
In the past few days I have created a website with several old maps of Blyth and the surrounding area. http://www.peterloud.co.uk/photos/Northumberland/Blyth/Maps/Blyth-Old_Maps.html.

These maps are fascinating.  It was interesting to see how Blyth area was mostly small populated places around mines, e.g. Isabella, New Delaval, South Newsham, Cowpen, Bebside, Cambois, the more I look, the more I find.  It appears that these mine settlements expanded and joined up with the port to form Blyth as we know it today.  In the process some of those mining communities disappeared.

Cambois was the biggest surprise. The were lots of houses and industries running all along the coast north of North Blyth.

(This is a copy of a posting I did under Northumberland,after I posted there I found Blyth History.)