Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 181196 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #333 on: Sunday 30 July 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
The various staiths at Blyth were demolished at slightly different times. The higher structures were known as the 'superstructure', and the sections in the water were the 'substructure'. The Blyth Harbour Commission owns the 'substructures' and they are now 'listed buildings'. The 'superstructures were owned and maintained by the railway company NER / BR.

The huge South Staith which was the town side of the river was dismantled during 1966. Shortly after that, the Cowpen Coal staiths were removed 1968, to make way for the Alcan terminal which opened 1971 and the first offload at Alcan took place on the 29 June 1971. Then after that the North Staith was dismantled during 1972, famous for the film Get Carter and Michael Cain which was filmed late 1970 and first shown 10 March 1971, the staith certainly all gone by 1975. The West Staith remained in use until I think 1993/4 and after the diesel locomotive depot was closed at North Blyth in 1994, the West Staith was removed 1996. The large Bate's Staith with it's carriages was dismantled June 2014.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Sunday 30 July 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
 well well, good on her. Actually I never knew that Jean was from Blyth, at least we claim fame for something x Dont know if this is connected but  there was a papershop in Blyth when I was younger (much) younger and a lady in there was called Heywood, but perhaps Jean was married, and that may have been where her Heywood came about. still very interesting blog Pityacker,    Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Cowpen Quay Exile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Monday 31 July 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
When the staithes were being dismantled I asked one of the workman what was to become of the timber that was being removed . He said that as far as he knew some of it was to be used by a Swedish company to manufacture of matchsticks and some for the manufacture of fishing rods . It  seemed more likely that some would be used to build or repair similar structures world wide .

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Monday 31 July 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
I remember those staithes well. They were one of our adventure playgrounds during those unsupervised childhood days of WW2.
I didn't realise that part of that TV series was filmed in Blyth - thanks for the information. We watched it when when it was first shown.
As for the actress's roots, I knew someone called Murray in Blyth who was a year older than me, so could have been from the same family. He was one of the few unfortunates who was struck by TB in ?1952. Murray was an unusual name in Blyth.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Just been digging on www.fbmd.org.uk re Jean.  Born in July, 1921 at Blyth.  Her parents were : John E. Murray, and Mary E. Batey.  They were married in the September 1919 qtr; Tynemouth Reg. District, which includes Blyth.
Other than that I can find no other useful information.  Wikipedia, etc just shows what films; tv series, etc that she has appeared in.
Perhaps someone in Roots, familiar with the Census records, could find the parents listed in the 1911 census for Blyth.
I have found a Mary Ellen Batey, born 1900 at Blyth. who MIGHT be the above person.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather was Thomas James Murray 1899-1930; his family came to Blyth in circa 1891 from Whitehaven, Cumberland. A large family his brother was John William who married Rebecca Sailes so not us I'm sorry to say  :( 

There is a John Edward Murray aged 16 living at 86 Park Road with his family in 1911.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
fremund, Thank you for that.  Sorry to hear that you are not related.  But, as regards the Park Road details, I would bet my last penny on that being the person.  In those days, not just Blyth, but most areas in the UK marriages were "local", between local lads and lasses. :)
And coincidences ? - Yes, Park Road, originally Folly Road, I have connections with families and relatives who lived there in the 1900s, [not Murray though].
We will wait and see who else comes up with pieces of this jigsaw relating to Jean Heywood(Murray)

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
The Murray I knew was Ernest Murray. He lived on Newsham Road.
He did recover from  TB  ;)
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
well well, good on her. Actually I never knew that Jean was from Blyth, at least we claim fame for something x
I have just been on Wikipedia - 'People from Blyth'  There are 35 listed. 80% or thereabouts are professional footballers. !! William Smith, Mariner, who was the first to sight the Antarctic mainland.
Richard Been STANNARD, V.C. ;  Tod SWEENEY, i.e. Col. Henry John SWEENEY, M.C.